Engine won't run when the choke is off

Justin67

Reaction score
Hey, so I just installed a stage 1 kit on my Kohler engine. It runs on choke but as soon as I turn the choke off it turns off. Let me know if you need more information! Any ideas on what to do?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210403_174725.jpg
    20210403_174725.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Kit come with a main jet AND a low jet? Tried turning up the idle screw?
Did you put the e-tube back in the same way it came out? Upside down will mess everything up.

Justin67

Reaction score
Kit come with a main jet AND a low jet? Tried turning up the idle screw?
Did you put the e-tube back in the same way it came out? Upside down will mess everything up.
The kit came with an upgraded jet. I replaced the stock one with the upgraded one. I having been turning up the idle skrew but no luck.
I put the e-tube back in the same way it came out.
I also just took the carburetor off and sprayed every piece down with carburetor cleaner.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If I'm looking at and thinking correctly about your pic above, the choke lever is in the run position. Is that the way you see it?
I had a time when, after losing my choke and gas shutoff directions sticker after replacing the stock airbox like you have, I got confused about which way was on/off for the choke. Had the same problem as you, would only run when choke was supposedly partway on.
Pulled back the new filter, verified which way the butterfly moves, and marked it permanently with on/off arrows. No trouble since.

Justin67

Reaction score
I found my solution! I took the plastic piece that is under the idle skrew out and replaced it with one from another carburetor. I made sure I cleaned that piece well but I guess it wasn't good enough. Thanks for your help!
20210404_173649.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Well that answers if the kit came with a low jet or not. That piece is your low jet.
FYI: Not sure about Kohler, but a Predator 212 has factory jets around .016 low jet and .029 main jet.
My own current Predator now has .022 low jet and .036 main jet (running 35.2 degrees of timing advance) from my performance guy Jerry. He only matches up what parts should be getting used in conjunction with each other, including the advance key.
Note: He stays with the factory E-tube for that set.

mckutzy

Reaction score
What colour is the plug??...

And more to the point of curiosity.... Why does it matter to have it off???? Was it able to run on the half-cock position of choke???

The flywheel has a key on the shaft connecting the point of timing of ignition.... It can be offset to allow advance or retarding the ignition...

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
For a full explanation look at OMB Warehouse video on youtube. Type "OMB timing key" in search bar.
All these motors have an amount of timing advance built in, that is, a certain amount of the 360 degree crankshaft rotation where the spark plug fires and ignites the fuel/air mixture in advance of the piston having reached top dead center (TDC).
The flywheel shaft has a groove (keyway) for a piece of keystock that guides the flywheel's matching keyway onto the shaft. My own billet flywheel has that keyway at 28 degrees advance. A timing key (piece of keystock), (mine's a #6 x 1.2 = 7.2 degrees), isn't nicely square like the factory one, it's notched out. When you twist the flywheel up against that notch, the factory keyways no longer line up, the flywheel has advanced some.
Watch the Gray Goat guy on the OMB video, he'll help you understand it.