• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Engine... V8... Unstucking the stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
So, because I can(try). Engines not blowed up. Locked up from sitting, and missing parts didnt help.

Looking for any suggestions for unstucking the stuck.
My thoughts including filling the cylinders with diesel, or kerosene, or a 50/50 mix of ATf and Acetone.

The 360 is in a truck that could be used for various tasks around the property, if running. The 400, a project for another day(451 stroker build?).

And because everybody likes pictures...
Picture A, the 360.
Picture B, the 400.

Attachments

• 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 400.JPG
    400.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 3

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Step: 1: pull drain plug, and all spark plugs...

Step: 2: pour a Tsb. CLR in all the cylinders and let sit ....

Step 3: After 24-48 hours....shoot in a generous helping of PB Blaster...let sit as long as possible....

Step 4: Apply a socket to the harmonic balancer bolt....and apply moderate pressure...if it moves ....go no more than 1/8 turn, and reapply a generous amount of BP Blaster....

Step:5: Wait a week....then cycle. the engine two full revolutions.

Step: 6: Mix acetone and ATF 50/50 and pour in bores and wait 24 hours....

Step 7: Spin engine over with socket for as long as you can stand it....

Note: If at any point, the engine doesn't want to follow freeing up...replace the drain plug, and fill to the top with 25%acetone, 25% diesel or kerosene, and 75% ATF, and let sit trying to turn every 24 hours 1/8 turn...until it becomes free.

Generally, what happens is moisture invades through the intake and settles on top of the pistons....rusting them to the cylinder walls....them the rust builds up and freezes the rings in the ring lands....so...if you can get both freed up....you can actually run the engine awhile and the rust will "hone the cylinders " and while you wont have perfect compression, you'll actually have a running engine. Of course ,at minimum you should hone and replace rings... but you plan on doing a full rebuild anyway right?

Now...generally...the bottom end isn't hurt at all...first off, dissimilar metals in rod and crank bearings and secondly....oil coated surfaces...but...JIK ...that's why you fill the whole engine....there's other things that can lock up....but generally, it's always the piston rings and piston bores...

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Being Im not on a timed schedule here is there any particular reason any of these ingredients should not set for weeks?

My thoughts, fill the engine, cylinders, and a generous helping in the valve covers for a few weeks. Preferably with the cheapest substance lol

I did get some atf and acetone... did you know walmart only lets you buy 1 gallon of acetone per purchase? lol.
I have yet to get some diesel or kerosene. Not that I have a problem getting 5 gallons of both, but is 1 more "potent" than the other?

Id like to try to get the 360 running int the truck, maybe freshen it up at a later date. Proceeded to poke a hole in the radiator today.

Dump some used atf down the exposed intake on the 400. Goal for it is just to get it to turn over. I dont know if Id be able to build a 451 out of it, but the thought is there to drool over.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
The only thing I wouldn't let sit for too long or use too much of is the CLR...(waterbased).... not much dif in kerosene and diesel....kerosene may be just a touch less oily...(and help cut sludge a little better) ...

But...yeah the rest ....the more the merrier...and the longer the better....only one thing I see with the cylinders is this: a generous helping of whatever will dissolve rust untill it gets saturated....then the rust layer will sit there while the more potent undiluted mix will remain suspended above....while adding small amounts over time mixes and refreshes the solution....(provided its not seeping past the rings into the crankcase) ....

Another thing that's not a bad idea is to make the first couple of 1/8 turns backwards...(to expose more rust ring without fighting it)....

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
^^lol
My dad wants a Dakota like yours, to modify to look like a 55.

I dumped a mixture of atf and acetone in all cylinders, and down the intake. I got a prize in cylinder #7 as you can see in the picture.
:ack2:
However, I was able to pour some of our witches brew in the cylinder anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 8

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I actually have a small selection of 360 and 318 engines available, not a loss if we cant make this thing breath again. My father had this engine rebuilt many years ago, I thought maybe if it was simply seized from sitting it would be fun to get it running again.

mckutzy

Reaction score
My boss and I a little while ago was talking about 360 heads on a 318 lower(not the wide block)...
Apparently with that and a good cam, intake and 4 barrel, can generate some good numbers in a other wise anemic stock 150hp motor... All for relitivly cheap.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Ive heard about that, Im thinking the heads needed shaved a bit?
Im thinking the benefit of the 360 heads were the bigger valves?

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah....here was my recipe for disaster: 351W SBF bored over .060.... Speed Pro Hypers, ET7E heads (home ported and polished) , oversized swirl polished SS valves, 1.6 roller rockers and dual valve springs. Forged sportsman type rods with ARP bolts, and a 3.85 stroker crank.

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a 750cfm carb. Melling high flow oil pump with a 7 quart oil pan. ROL head gaskets with a Felpro gasket set.

Flowkooler waterpump. CompCams 268 extreme energy hydraulic flat tappet cam.

(Actually....out of the box...factory manifolds...this was a truck...so...they were free flowing....and were going to be smoothed out by my own inovative means)....

See....actually...this was going to be deceptively stock looking....and....I knew I was going to leave some horses on the table because of it....but I had full length headers and header wrap JIK....

SO.....I would have had a pretty decent 399 ci stroker if I had ever finished it.

Probably better I hadn't....you'd be surprised how scary I can get with a hundred and a half horsepower....you wouldn't wanna be with me with something in the 400+ range....

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Im thinking, if I am to rebuild something for more power, Id need at least 1hp per ci, that just seem the natural order of things... more the merrier. :roflol:

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Loose.
The oil in the 360 is now a mixture of our magical elixir. Not quite sure of that good or bad? I guess some of the cylinders arnt a solid block of rust :roflol:

Got some kerosene to dump in after I drain the current elixir.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Loose.
The oil in the 360 is now a mixture of our magical elixir. Not quite sure of that good or bad? I guess some of the cylinders arnt a solid block of rust :roflol:

Got some kerosene to dump in after I drain the current elixir.

Yep....that means the rust isn't so heavy...that it hasn't made a complete seal....continue on...and I'll bet you can run this engine like nothing ever happened.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Got dumped about 4 gallons of kerosene in the 360. Atleast 2 cylinders have our atf/acetone elixir still in them. The cylinders that would take it, dumped atleast a Jones soda bottles worth of kerosene, and the other till they were full.

Check out this spark plug. Nasty! :roflol:
I left this plug out, it a nice day I figure some of that goolosh will evaporate out of there.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.