engine tuneing

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin

Reaction score
ivee seen al the vids on you tube wher pepole are putting turbos on ther engines
apart from being cool wil it make much more power ive just spent today stripping my engine completleay ive made the exhaust port smother and alot bigger and smothed out the sharp corner in the intake ive removed the governer shaft from inside the engin as its not doing enything if i get a turbo what wouldbe best the smalest one i can find or one of the lowest power car ?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. The big drawback to doing all that work is that it most likely would require modifying a lot of the engine and $$$. I'm sure with the proper mods you could squeeze a few more ponies out of a small engine. I'm thinking of modding mine too AFTER I get everything up and running. Making your exhaust bigger and cleaning up the intake should make the engine a bit more efficient as gases can move through it easier.

ryf

Reaction score
ok... I'd not recommend this if you do not have a firewall between you and your engine, and the money to buy a new engine if it pops, (superchargers and turbos can eventually do so if you go nuts with the PSI's) you can supercharge/turbo (turbo requires 2 mounted back to back and hooked into exhaust) a normal cart engne for not alot of money if you have some tool and brain power. for a 3-6 hp I'd say out of an older 4 cyclinder would probably be big enough. your only going to get 1-2 psi in most cases, but it will be a noticeable difference and if your motor is taken care of shouldn't be outside the range of your carbs adjustments. I've SEEN this hooked up and it does work, now, it does not perform like a $1400 5+ psi bike turbo, but it works and seat of pants is quite noticeable on small engine (its not going to turn a 5 into a 50 hp, but a 5 into 8 would be within reasonable). I prefer the supercharge (costs less, belt drive it with a secondary pulley or chain, may require use of a jackshaft and/or motor movement depending on engine shaft length. which is where the turbo may be easier, but IMO it won't last as long, and will be harder to regulate PSI using a Blow off valve(if you use a BOV PLEASE use 2 or 3 all set to the same. if one starts sticking, you could end up in a bad deal if your pump is really putting out 5+ psi as these small engines can break apart (hence firewall advisory and me liking superchargers)

another neat idea about the supercharger, would be use a 12 volt electric clutch (A/c or lawn mower blade engager could be source) you could turn it on for short periods and use it like NOS at a higher PSI/flow. this would create a lean condition in the engine, which for long periods would be bad, but it would spin up like it does when it runs out of gas, except it won't run out of gas!

the reason this works is simple, if you can get more air and fuel pumped in, performance will increase, you already know this...... but even 2 psi though it sounds like nothing, is alot if you consider the carb was creating a vacuum just to run and now its not, that will increase RPMS and available power by decreased load.

Last edited:

robin

Reaction score
ive got a 8 horse and i think its already putting out 10 with the huge carb ive put on i like the idear of a blower so than i can turn it off if it all goes bad.

funky ole

Reaction score
you can't turn off a blower,there's no switch. super chargers and turbos can be put on small engines,there's hits out there.5hp griggs kit is 1000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.