Engine Starts, stops almost immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

UDFxRookie

Reaction score
I got a go kart that had been sitting outside by a guys trailer forever. I bought a new carb ($11) vs cleaning the old one. The previous carb setup also had no air filter box, etc so I purchased an adapter for the after market cone filter. I also replaced the ignition coil and spark plug as the old ones were beyond salvage.

New Carb and air setup:

Only difference in carb that was on there is an extra feed which I'm assuming is for a carb catch can, so I blocked it off:

Old carb (and why I'm not using it):

Ok... so here's what happens::popcorn:

Video of Go Kart Stalling

It starts up pretty good but then dies, regardless of me playing with the throttle...
There are NO adjustment screws aside from the main carb flywheel for air :confused:

How do I get this thing running for the kids?

Any and all help welcome!

UDFxRookie

Reaction score
So I tried two things with one working.
1) I taped off half to 2/3 of the air filter
Results: didn't seem to have any affect

2) I pressed the primmer bulb when the engine was about to stall out
Results: so long as I kept primming the engine kept going... what in the world is up with this carb and is there a fix?

I was thinking about trying the gas on the top valve I blocked off but it's very apparent I think, that the gas goes to the bowl. When I unscrew the bowl a little bit I see some gas coming out by the bolt... so there's gas in there

:mad2:

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
You answered your self.
Not getting fuel.

I'd tear apart the new carb and check if the jets are clogged.
Is the bowl full? Or just a little in there. The needle valve or float might be sticking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.