Engine Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3.5 hp Tecumseh on my mini bike, and when I went to start it up I noticed it was leaking gas from the carb. It didn't look like there was any sort of puncture in the bowl though. Does anyone know what is happening or how to fix it? Thanks.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
tell me, is this a manco thunderbird? had one with a tec on it. pull your carb off, turn it upside down and reposition your float gasket, also theres a small gasket that goes on the bolt/main jet of the carb and without it it leaks fuel from the bottom of the bowl

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the make because I bought it on craigslist. I might be able to post a picture or two if that would help. The problem sounds more like the second one, although I am not sure.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Some pictures. Hope they help.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 13

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Yeah a rebuild kit would be nice, but the pull starter just broke so I don't want to have to spend more money than I need to.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
if you look at the pics, the bowl isint even sealed correctly, the gasket is keeping it from sealing, i can see it in the pics. and ah tecumseh recoils, i seen a cool one where you wind it up and when you press a button on the side it turns the engine over. but ebay should have a recoil for you cheap

klicky96

Reaction score
Ummmmm. Quick simple fix. I bet, if you take the bowl off, and clean up the float and needle with some carb cleaner, then put the bowl back on, then it'll be fine. Its probably just a stuck float, meaning gas is flowing through the carb, into the bowl, overfilling the bowl and pushing it out of the back of the carb.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
I tightened the bolt holding the bowl onto the carb assembly and that seemed to do the trick. But now, I noticed that gas is flowing out of the back of the carb where the choke and air cleaner are :mad2:.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You definitely want to remove the float, and clean up the needle and seat. Verify that float is set to correct height and that needle is seating properly. I do believe it's flooding itself. Try this:

With the carb right off the engine, connect a short length of hose to the fuel inlet. Holding the carb in it's normal position, blow into the hose. You should feel and hear the air entering through the valve. Now flip the carb upside down. Blowing in, no air should flow. Flip and repeat a few times. If valve is sticking, or not seating, it should be obvious. Please note that while this does verify inlet valve operation, it does NOT indicate whether the float is set at the correct height.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I might be able to try that when I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.