Engine problems advise needed

codeyell0

Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of my project and I get the engine running
and its ****ing oil out the exhaust.
I'm so close to driving this thing I can taste it.

I don't have the tool to test compression.
Pulled the head and oil was sitting in the cyl.
no damage to the walls
did an oil change thinking old oil. no viscosity. same thing.

its a 196cc hisun. I would just buy a new 212 but they are out of stock and I don't know when they will be available.

That being said. I would buy a piston kit but.... which kit since its a 196cc not a 212 or should i buy rings? it should be 70mm?
i'm not looking to spend a lot.

should i just wait for the 212 to be in stock?

BigWes

Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa!!! before you do any of that did you check the oil level?

I know you ain't stupid but if your carb is flooding it can easily fill the crankcase with gas and cause that very thing to happen. Didn't smell like gas did it?

A little bit of fuel can cause the oil to get really thin and go right by the rings.

Now if that isn't your issue, and it may not be. If your engine has been sitting for a while your rings just may be stuck. You could try pulling the plug and turning the piston to bottom stroke and filling the cylinder with a solvent and letting it sit for a day or so and see if it losens up or even pulling the piston and check it that way. You will know if your rings are stuck and if you are careful you can free them without breaking them.

I would check all that first...besides...those checks won't cost you anything.

Then go from there....

Wes

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
:iagree: with what the big guy said and would like to add that if the cylinder became fuel washed (glazed) that can allow fluids to swap places which would require a quick honing, if you don't have access to a honing tool or a glaze breaker 400-600 grit sandpaper will do the job fine just make sure to give it a cross thatch pattern.

Could also be a blown head gasket, the push rod galley is right beside the cylinder.

codeyell0

Reaction score
The oil does look watery as it came out the exhaust.
I have a spare carb. i'll try that

I cleaned out the cyl when i took the head off to start fresh.
i tried to see where oil was coming from.

oil level was half way up the stick after the oil change. prior was only near the very bottom it is tilted back slightly while the cart is in the air on my work bench. so i know its not over filled.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
in case the engine was serviced before..
it may be possible the piston rings are generally incorrect or just misaligned.

they should be offset by 120° each and none aligned with the piston pin bore.

bore is 68mm not 70
196cc are true clone engines, so most if not all parts are interchangeable with a Honda GX200 enigne

I'll attach the Honda assembly guide.
it'll be at the very least an extremely close match to your engine.

'sid

Attachments

• gx120-gx160-gx200-assembly-guide.pdf
    188 KB · Views: 6

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that piston rings have a "right side up" usually indicated by a dot that faces up, if not you'll need to try and spot the taper on the edge and make sure the widest part of the taper is facing down.

codeyell0

Reaction score
I replaced the carb with the replacement i had.
let it run for a while trying to burn out all the oil
at idle it seems much better way less smoke if any. still need to try it out under load.
when i blip the throttle it still pours smoke. seems like less oil but only time will tell.
Might still get a ring set in case.

BigWes

Reaction score
Don't underestimate the power and value and resilience of a true clone engine. In the past I have made this mistake myself in favor of more cheap displacement from the predator line of engines. On my part, and I'll openly admit, I was wrong about many of the true clones. A predator is not a clone. Chances are your 196 is. There is a world of parts fort that thing if so. And so long as the block isn't cracked or destroyed otherwise you're gonna likely be able to keep it in the game. And don't be fooled, it'll keep pace with a predator any day of the week so long as your wrenches are working in the right direction.

Just the pure fact the little plant spools up and turns dead dinosaurs into glorious noise and delicious stench of burnt fuel and oil is enough to tell the tale and give me hope it's worth your time.

And I almost feel it could be a combo of fuel in the oil and stuck rings.

You may wanna change that oil again before you run it much.

I have an old Lifan 196 out in the shed. It was the one on "The Beast" when I flipped it and got burnt. That thing looks like hammered dog Pooh. But it'll run like a raped ape. And that's with spark plugs in cross threaded...thanks PO.

Anyway... keep at it and keep letting us know please. This is my favorite kinda thing. Bringing an engine back online!

River3

Reaction score
Don't underestimate the power and value and resilience of a true clone engine. In the past I have made this mistake myself in favor of more cheap displacement from the predator line of engines. On my part, and I'll openly admit, I was wrong about many of the true clones. A predator is not a clone. Chances are your 196 is. There is a world of parts fort that thing if so. And so long as the block isn't cracked or destroyed otherwise you're gonna likely be able to keep it in the game. And don't be fooled, it'll keep pace with a predator any day of the week so long as your wrenches are working in the right direction.

Just the pure fact the little plant spools up and turns dead dinosaurs into glorious noise and delicious stench of burnt fuel and oil is enough to tell the tale and give me hope it's worth your time.

And I almost feel it could be a combo of fuel in the oil and stuck rings.

You may wanna change that oil again before you run it much.

I have an old Lifan 196 out in the shed. It was the one on "The Beast" when I flipped it and got burnt. That thing looks like hammered dog Pooh. But it'll run like a raped ape. And that's with spark plugs in cross threaded...thanks PO.

Anyway... keep at it and keep letting us know please. This is my favorite kinda thing. Bringing an engine back online!

That's basically a poem BW! It's not expensive to drain oil and carb. Maybe your fuel shut off didn't do its job and flooded your engine.

Put a little sea foam in the oil and let it idle for 5 minutes or so. Maybe that will free things up if something is stuck.

BigWes

Reaction score
That's basically a poem BW! It's not expensive to drain oil and carb. Maybe your fuel shut off didn't do its job and flooded your engine.

Put a little sea foam in the oil and let it idle for 5 minutes or so. Maybe that will free things up if something is stuck.

Poetry in that mess? Lol! Hey!!! I always enjoy saying turning dead dinosaurs into noise! Old saying we said before we would strap on a 58 and go for a test flight.

I did think a few folks might find some of the stuff entertaining...makes boring junk easier to read. Constant technical jiberish becomes exactly that as you read a pile of it.