Engine help

Tomthebomb

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the go kart world thinking about building either a mini bike or kart. I am confused tho by a lot of different stats about the engines. I haven‘t been able to confirm how fast a kart (assumably weighing around 200lbs with rider) or a mini bike (maybe 150lbs) could go with say maybe the harbor freight predator 6.5 212cc engine. If this is slower than say the 60 mph tops I am hoping to get what hp and cc would be better. I understand that there are many other factors, but don‘t quite understand them yet. Hoping to keep this low budget, Tom the Bomb

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the go kart world thinking about building either a mini bike or kart. I am confused tho by a lot of different stats about the engines. I haven‘t been able to confirm how fast a kart (assumably weighing around 200lbs with rider) or a mini bike (maybe 150lbs) could go with say maybe the harbor freight predator 6.5 212cc engine. If this is slower than say the 60 mph tops I am hoping to get what hp and cc would be better. I understand that there are many other factors, but don‘t quite understand them yet. Hoping to keep this low budget, Tom the Bomb
sorry for the late reply. This really is the wrong thread to be posting in, this would do much better in the engines and clutches thread.

But to answer your question a 212 could go 60 mph with a 200lbs rider but that is after 1k in engine mods. I am unaware of any engine that can make that much power box stock, other than a 420cc or 670cc vtwin both with gearing changes that could have an impact on low end torque. I think your best bet right now is to get a 420cc and a torque converter and do the required upgrades to de govern the engine.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
if you're aiming for 60mph your cheapest option is a small to mid sized motorcycle engine,
it's not actually a concern of power really.. as little as 12-13 horses will do;
BUT a single speed transmission will break your neck.. since you'll EITHER have the power to start moving OR the power to move at speed
(hence the need for a gear box)
And while you could use a Tavkit to get rather close to your goal with an industrial 6 horse engine..
it might not suffice without spending a lot of money on mods...
and any chinese 200cc motorcycle engine will outperform that for less money easily thanks to the benefits of a gear box

'sid

On a side note: slap on a 212 with a Tavkit gear for 35-38mph and give it a go...
plenty of fun to be had right there for minimal amounts of monetary units to spend..
with about 200 additional bucks you can get to 45mph I'd say maybe 50 even....
and trust me.. that closely tied to the road it feels MUCH faster.