Engine and cart design. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombicidal

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
So I have a small 5hp go kart right now. It just isn't enough for me so I want to make a new one. I want to use a 500cc Kawasaki motor or better. I've looked for a motor and can't find one really cheap. I want one broke so I can get it cheap and just fix it up. My buddy had an old 650cc for a kawasaki and turned it into a nasty little kart. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a motor that size or better for cheap? Also, when I do, what kind of design should I go with?
Thanks.
 

mysteryboy28

New member
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
11
Location
Lansing, MI
Motors are hard to find. You just have to watch craigslist like a hawk for a few weeks, and eventually you may be able to talk somebody down to the price you'd be willing to pay.

As for a design, if you're going to using a big motor then you want to be going with a bigger more heavy duty vehicle like a mini buggy. Try minibuggy.net or buggynews.com to see what other people have done. Good luck!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I think your best bet for finding an engine is finding an entire bike (or quad, or whatever). Get one pretty cheaply that needs a fair amount of work, and you may be able to recoup some of your purchase price by selling parts that you're not going to use. If it comes with a title, you may even be able to get some money for the title/VIN/frame.
 

Zombicidal

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I've looked on craigslist, and made a few posts. I'm just not sure of what to look for/under.
 

Zombicidal

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
An engine is what I'm really looking for. I have a 5HP on my go kart right now. It's just not enough for me. I want speed honestly, but I don't want to empty my pockets. What engine should I go with? One for a motorcycle or a lawn mower? Any recommended cc or hp?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
An engine is what I'm really looking for.

If you want to put a bike engine on it:
1. It's gonna be off a small bike (up to 250cc)
2. you're gonna need better brakes
3. you'll need all the associated bits & pieces (carbs, wiring, exhaust, controls, etc)

So, if you want a bike engine, you'd be better off getting the whole bike; unless you want to spend countless hours & dollars hunting around for all the aforementioned associated bits & pieces.

Otherwise, start lookin for an 8hp industrial engine with a 3/4" shaft (to save you the added expense of a 1" drive clutch).

Option 3 is to mod the life out of your little 5hp...
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
If you want to put a bike engine on it:
1. It's gonna be off a small bike (up to 250cc)
2. you're gonna need better brakes
3. you'll need all the associated bits & pieces (carbs, wiring, exhaust, controls, etc)

...

And you're going to have to do a lot of fab work.
 

Zombicidal

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I took my buddies kart for a ride today. He has a Yamaha r1 converted into a kart. Its a sick ride, but too much for me. I love the speed but not for that price haha. Would I want to use an engine for more of a street racing bike, or a cruiser? Or even like a dirt bike/atv?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
There have been many 80cc 2 stroke engines bolted onto go karts with loads of torque & super quick top speed. Personally, I wouldn't go that route; too expensive & too much associated hardware. I currently have a build on hold which is a 150cc 4 stroke air cooled engine from a pit bike which should be lots of fun when it's done & not a lot of extra hardwareto worry about...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top