Electric Motorcycle built

Ben800

Reaction score
Electric Motorcycle built from scratch.
At 92 lbs without battery, 115 lbs with battery (53 kg) (the specifications of some electric motorcycles and bikes are given without batteries, not very practical) fully dressed with accessories and large tires. It's easy to put it in a peakup box on its own without ramps.

It is therefore the weight of a 50cc mini motorcycle for children, but it is of average adult size.
The balloon tires make it easier to roll on rocky ground and soft ground. Well tested on my gasoline motorcycle.

The 1.9 kW/h battery is made of 18650 Samsung cells, which is much lighter than a Lipofe battery (virtually all motorcycles are Lipofe). But it was very difficult to find in this format, several battery suppliers only take orders for very large customers. Purchased in China but with reputable Korean cells (not Chinese cells which have an advertised capacity 3 times greater than reality)

The Brushless motor with the battery and the controller should give 5kW of power between 1600 and 4200 RPM mechanically at the output of the motor axis. The peak power announced by the sellers of motors and electric vehicles means nothing most of the time, it represents the electrical power that the motor could absorb at start-up (if there were no restrictions) and not the power that is produced...

And 25lbs/ft of torque at 1500rpm.

The KTM Freeryde E electric motorcycle has about double the power, battery capacity, but also double the weight.

Since there is no transmission, the vaunted torque of the electric motor does not provide such a violent start, there is no overdrive ratio of the first gear and the clutch has an X speed. The speed start is 0RPM

It should be roughly equivalent to a 10 hp gasoline motorcycle, but ultra light.

More precision, comparison to the summer. Preliminary tests have shown that its reached (60km/h GPS) very quickly. (speed limited by the ratio of the chain. An electric motor being limited to a speed X, if you want a lot of force and acceleration on rough terrain you have to stick to a lower speed. Precision control is incomparable to that of gasoline at low speed.There will be almost no adjustment and maintenance to do, except that it will still get dirty.

Estimated range

Energy contained in 1 liter of gasoline = 8.9kwh

Approximate average efficiency of an air-cooled 4-stroke engine = 20%

Approximate average efficiency of a brushless electric motor = 90%

Therefore

8.9kwh*20%/90%=1.98kwh

A 1.98kw/h battery with a small brushless motor would give the equivalent in autonomy of 1 liter of gasoline with the small 4-stroke motor. Perhaps more considering the lightness and low friction of the bike, to see. But it can for the weight and price of the battery.

Theoretically the end of useful life of the battery would arrive at the same time as the equivalent in $ of a full tank of gas. As I would use the vehicle (or my girlfriend hence the color) very occasionally, this will never happen.

Front and rear suspension with 6” of air travel.

Almost waterproof battery and controller compartment.

Chest under the seat, removable seat, rear luggage rack.

Large wings to avoid mud in the face and in the back

Hydraulic brakes with battery regeneration during braking

The chain guard allows at the same time to keep the tension of the chain according to the sag of the suspension.
There are not many games, the battery (found after building the frame) just fits, the brake is 1mm from the rims, the motor fits tight, there must not be any looseness

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Great job! Really liking the industrial look of the square tubing frame, and the funky balloon tires. Gold chain is a nice touch. Lose the Metal Mulisha sticker though, it's your work, not theirs.

Ben800

Reaction score
Winter kit for BWE electric motorcycle. I made it mainly to test the battery and the motor (performance and especially autonomy) in real winter conditions.

The parts to remove and add are minimal. Replace wheel with sprockets that bolt in the same place. 4 holes and 4 bolts on the swing arm, everything else identical to the summer configuration (except the skis)

That adds a measly 16lbs to him, a Timbersled kit adds 50 to 80 lbs

However, with the 110” x 7” x 1.25” track, the flotation will not be very great taking into account the weight of the driver. This will be effective on compact, semi-compact snow or loose snow with a bottom not too far away. I have other machines for other conditions. Modifying a motorcycle cannot be optimal compared to directly manufacturing a snow bike from scratch, the position of the driver and the mechanics is always in front of the track instead of being on the track.

The angle of the track tilts to follow the terrain and thus maintain traction, the rear of the track is spring loaded from the front to keep pressure on the ground. Some system of the kind that I saw on the internet were fixed so the track goes straight up with the suspension, does not follow the shape of the ground.

I added reverse, which is extremely easy with an electric motor (a button and wire) unlike a gasoline engine that almost all of the gears have to be custom made to fit into a given space.

Ben800

Reaction score

2kw*h battery empty in 40 min in soft snow with the small motor

18 inch off fres snow but over 36'' overall (where it hasn't been compacted)

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Short hike of about 20km
Hike? Was that a hike home (in deep powder to boot) after a machine's failure? I would never wish to expose myself to that possibility, even if there was no cellphone service up in dem dere hills, or down in da holler. I get chilled by just stopping too long in the meat department at Publix.
The more avid and/or experienced game hunters who might be on this forum could probably point you toward outfitters with some handheld radios that have excellent range, and with an alert feature (like a phone ringing).
I'd be radioing for help before taking a single step toward hiking, goldarned wuthless flatlander dat I be.
Note: An EPIRB is out of the question unless lost or injured. First responders risk their lives to get to an EPIRB signal.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That is kind of slick! Where are you located? I’d be scared to go too far though. I’m really liking the gas one better though.