Electric Kart questions (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy Karl

Reaction score
Hi id just kike to say this is my first post so please dont hate if i ask questions which have already been asked.

Okay so first off i just recently started working as an apprentice electrician and i love it and everything electrical.. so i want to build an electric kart.

i have read over some things on the site such as car starter conversion and i think i am quite capable of doing so.

here is what i would like my kart to be like... (please comment on specific things that are bad and i should stay away from if you notice any)

1-starter motor, converted. Some sort of additional cooling fan to help with cooling

2-smalls wheels for fast acceleration, pneumatic rubber for traction

3-belt driven for silence and ease of installation of pulleys as opposed to sprockets

4-engine pulley will be smaller then axle pulley for higher torque

5-possibly welded frame (just got a mig welder, yet to be hooked up and tested)

6.a- 12 volt, most likely two 12v deep cycle batteries wired parallel to increase ah (amp hours) as opposed to voltage
6.b-another option later on will be next time we re wire a school or commercial building i'l get the 12v batteries form the emergency lighting system. these i believe are lead acid batteries and are much smaller then regular 12v auto or deep cycle, and they have a pretty decent ah (for electrical code the emergency lighting is they must stay on for at least 22 min)

7- for a speed controller i was planning on using a variable speed drill trigger. has anyone done this? i figure the trigger on a drill regulates voltage (educated guess) seeing as with a DC engine voltage is directly proportional to speed of the engine so that would be the simplest way to do so. I was wondering if it would have to be a DC trigger or if it could be AC and run DC through it

8-somewhere down the line some type of re-gen system, maybe a car alternator. i figure that since car alternators need high RPM to produce power i would gear it so i would have as large of pulley i could fit on the rear axle while still maintaining ground clearance (for example if i use six inch tires, i would use a 5 inch pulley so there is ground clearance) and on the alternator itself have as small as pulley as possible

9-as cheap as possible of course haha

for ease of replying i added numbers to each point so please reply either in general or use the number as a reference so reply's will be easier to understand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Krazy Karl

Reaction score
oh i think il add one thing to point 7, speed controller. using a drill trigger, i figure i would make a bow tie style steering wheel so the trigger will be right at my hand. and i will have the steering so just less then half a turn (150-160 degrees) will equal maximum turning of front wheels. and to over come extreme front end pull into the turn i will attempt to distribute the weight as well as possible

jr dragster T

Reaction score
You mean a smaller pulley on your motor for more torque right? And if I where you you I would use sprockets with that kind of torque from a starter. Plus attaching a sprocket is no more difficult than attaching a pulley.

Krazy Karl

Reaction score
there is just something that draws me to a pulley as opposed to sprocket. pulleys are more at my disposal for a better price then sprockets, i can double up the pulleys (so i would have two belts) for cheaper then one set of sprockets, which i guess i would only need one anyway because there wont even be a possibility of slippage

Krazy Karl

Reaction score
oh and i see you are from canada.. have you ever heard of peavey mart? thats were i am getting my belts and pulleys from, they have many different sises of pulleys and belts

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I doubt the drill trigger could handle the amps, build a custom controller, it is rather easy to pose as an engineer to get free expensive semiconductor parts as "samples". If you use backup batteries just wire a bunch in parallel.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I doubt the drill trigger could handle the amps, build a custom controller, it is rather easy to pose as an engineer to get free expensive semiconductor parts as "samples". If you use backup batteries just wire a bunch in parallel.

Use the drill trigger to control some scr's that can handle the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.