Electric Go Kart?

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I have been thinking about possibly making an electric cart, what knowledge does it take? whats the minimum price? i have the frame already, whats the best options to keep it cheap?

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
What frame are you using and how much does it weigh, how much will the driver/passengers weigh, what terrain will it be used in, what kind of performance do you want, and what is "cheap" to you?

FlyFrog

Reaction score
its a home made frame me and my buddy made last winter, weighs probably 90-110 pounds, and a 135 pound driver, decent speed and take off, nothing special and id like it to drive on the street and a pretty smooth yard

redflash

Reaction score
my experience from doing it.......The $100 motors ( 1800-2000 watt) are crap. If they over heat ( big tires, weight, hot day) they fry and blow up, additionally they really don't have enough power to pull an adult or heavy kart. Some guys double up and use tandem motors.
Now the 500 dollar motors are great, but by the time you get motor, controller, and batteries, you have $1,500 dollars in addition to your Kart.
I wanted quiet......so I tried electric. When a HF 212 is only $150.00 why spend all that money on electric, unless you want to play with technology.
In my opinion gas is simplicity and technology is headaches. my 2 cents

Da Redflash

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
With something that small, one of those little brushless 3000W canister style motors would work. They can handle around 40A usually, which is pretty easy to achieve with a small lithium battery. I can drive the jeep I built for my son off-road with a less powerful motor and just 24v with no issues. I used a little 500W motor in his kart and I can drive it 20mph on the road. There are tons of options from super cheap to as expensive as you want. Do you have a picture of the frame?

FlyFrog

Reaction score
my experience from doing it.......The $100 motors ( 1800-2000 watt) are crap. If they over heat ( big tires, weight, hot day) they fry and blow up, additionally they really don't have enough power to pull an adult or heavy kart. Some guys double up and use tandem motors.
Now the 500 dollar motors are great, but by the time you get motor, controller, and batteries, you have $1,500 dollars in addition to your Kart.
I wanted quiet......so I tried electric. When a HF 212 is only $150.00 why spend all that money on electric, unless you want to play with technology.
In my opinion gas is simplicity and technology is headaches. my 2 cents

Da Redflash
ya i perfer gas or any combustion engine for that matter, i just want to try something different and learn new things, get better at wiring, understand electrical components n such

FlyFrog

Reaction score
With something that small, one of those little brushless 3000W canister style motors would work. They can handle around 40A usually, which is pretty easy to achieve with a small lithium battery. I can drive the jeep I built for my son off-road with a less powerful motor and just 24v with no issues. I used a little 500W motor in his kart and I can drive it 20mph on the road. There are tons of options from super cheap to as expensive as you want. Do you have a picture of the frame?

i sadly cant view the videos due to restrictions put in place byy my school and i use this forum at school but thanks for the info, any links to motors and or batteries to get me started?

FlyFrog

Reaction score
i based the frame off of my klipper kart, it has a few differences and needs to be finished like the top frame rails, steering , seating and axel hangers, so i have room to adjust where things are placed and make room for the motor and batteries n suchimg_2018.jpg

FlyFrog

Reaction score

FlyFrog

Reaction score

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Gas has a much lower cost to build. Also ride times are much longer and minimal cost to maintain. Higher fuel cost and long run times. And great off road.

Electric higher cost to build, lower cost to charge. Short run times and repairs can be very costly. More environmentally friendly. More of a on road or smooth surface vehicle.