electric go kart help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackey

Amature To Most
Reaction score
17/21aH batteries are roughly 25-35 pounds. Your motor will be burnt to a crisp and magnets as good as cast iron when you're done going up a hill.

Is this the only problem with batteries with a high aH? Because I've got 2 18.3 aH battries which sum up to 24 pounds, which isn't much for a 500w motor, but is 18.3 aH over powered?

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Is this the only problem with batteries with a high aH? Because I've got 2 18.3 aH battries which sum up to 24 pounds, which isn't much for a 500w motor, but is 18.3 aH over powered?

In an electric powered vehicle, you want low gearing and an large motor.

Large motors suck up alot more current, but an underpowered motor will be under constant load to keep you moving, while a larger motor will move you at lower RPM's with ease, and allow you to sip amerage at high RPM's (virtually no load).

My scooter I'd say tops out at around 30, and has around 1000 watts, and 8:1 gearing.

It's running on 7aH batteries and you can ride for an hour nonstop, or even more depending on how heavy your HAND is :)

Qmavam

Reaction score
In an electric powered vehicle, you want low gearing and an large motor.

Large motors suck up alot more current, but an underpowered motor will be under constant load to keep you moving, while a larger motor will move you at lower RPM's with ease, and allow you to sip amperage at high RPM's (virtually no load).

My scooter I'd say tops out at around 30, and has around 1000 watts, and 8:1 gearing.
Hi oscaryu1,
I'm curious about your 8:1 gearing;
What is the diameter of your tire?
What is the maximum motor RPM?
Mike

kartermicah

Reaction score
Hey I am also building a go kart but i want it to go about 30 mph or a little less like 27 mph. I am gonna be running a 48 volt system and each battery has about 12Ah. I do not want to pay more than 300 $ for a motor and a controller COMBINED. what do you guys think i should get. i was gonna get a 1000 watt motor but i think it might be to slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.