Electric Barstool Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.concepcion54321

Rebuilding KTM, Need Kart
Reaction score
this has to be a low cost build so new motors and controllers are out of the question. could i try to get a shaft machined that fits into the motor and weld a sprocket onto that?? also how could i hook up drill batteries to run the motor on. harbor freight sells these 18volt dril batteries that are like 15 bucks each and 20 bucks with the chargers. i was planning on just picking up 2 of those and wire them up to put 36 volts to the motor. anyone have any ideas on how i can do this??

cboy

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 24 volt 350 watt currie motor that i took off of a schwinn electric scooter.

i have 4, 12 volt electric scooter batteries.

if i were to run the motor on 48 volts instead of 24 volts what kind of speed can i get. the motors stock rpm is 2650.

I thought you said you alraedy have a 24v motor and 4 12v batteries already?

those 18v batteries from HF are 1.3AH....they will last 2-3mins max

the 12v scooter batteries are usually 7-12AH so you can see how thats a big difference.

do you not have the controller from the scooter you took apart?

j.concepcion54321

Rebuilding KTM, Need Kart
Reaction score
i have the motor controller which is covered in rust and im not sure if works, i have the 24volt scooter motor, the 4 12 volt batteries. which i also do not know if work because i dont have a charger for them and they have been sitting outside, and i have the powerchair motor. would it be a good idea to make the frame out of pvc pipe? or could i just use some 1 inch pipe with some 90degree elbows and such to hold it together. ( No welder)

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
i have the motor controller which is covered in rust and im not sure if works, i have the 24volt scooter motor, the 4 12 volt batteries. which i also do not know if work because i dont have a charger for them and they have been sitting outside, and i have the powerchair motor. would it be a good idea to make the frame out of pvc pipe? or could i just use some 1 inch pipe with some 90degree elbows and such to hold it together. ( No welder)

That wont work at all. PVC is way too flexible. Using threaded pipe & fittings wont work either, they'll just loosen.

scooterman675

Reaction score
has any one mention to you, you could use car batteries. they woudl last a long time, but take while to charge but the long run time makes up for that

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Car batteries are quite heavy, but can be had cheaply. I would suggest two safety tips. One, enclose the batteries in a box that will spare you from acid injury in the event of an accident. Two, open the battery boxes and charge batteries in a well-ventilated are. Lead-acid car batteries release hydrogen gas while charging.

cboy

Reaction score
20.00 for a 10Ah sealed lead acid battery on ebay with none of the worries

or 20.00 for a car battery + whatever the battery box costs + hassles of covering/opening box each time

seems like an easy decision

scooterman675

Reaction score
dude just because there 'sealed" doesnt mean that they wont bust open in a crash. and even if they were "sealed" i would still want to put a nice strong steal box around them, just incase. and are you that lazy to "cover/open" box each time. what 2 small clips it that hard?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
dude just because there 'sealed" doesnt mean that they wont bust open in a crash. and even if they were "sealed" i would still want to put a nice strong steal box around them, just incase. and are you that lazy to "cover/open" box each time. what 2 small clips it that hard?

Bingo. "Sealed" means "maintenance free", being that there are no removeable caps to add electrolyte. There are still vents in the case. The acid is still very liquid, the enclosure is still equally susceptible to damage. If you insist on using a liquid lead-acid battery, Fabricate a battery box that will hold the battery firmly in position and contain the acid in a crash. Put a very small vent hole in it near the bottom. Open the box when charging, as lead acid batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging.

Edit- I'd have to find the pics, but FWIW, I used a gel cell, enclosed in a military surplus ammunition can. Bombproof, and as safe as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.