Electric ball launcher (go kart wheels)

Mor

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't mount the wheels/tires directly to the motors because the least amount of imbalance would most likely quickly damage the motors. I would mount them on a framework and use chains or belts to drive the wheels/tires mounted on axles. I would try to use rubber isolators on the motor mounts if possible and make the distance between the tires adjustable.
The main body would be similar to this, with transport wheels and a ball loading chute as necessary.
Stupid question but how would you keep the wheels in place? Just a live axel hub? or sprocket hub? a hub lock? or just a collar lock?

Willie1

Reaction score
Pillow block bearings and a keyed axle. At that point you could use riding mower style wheels with keyways in them, or keyed hubs with bolt on wheels. Either way I would use lock collars to keep the wheels from walking up/down the axles.

While at that point it would be tempting to just toss on a pair of riding mower rear tires on keyed wheels - I wouldn't.
The mower tires aren't rated for the speed and would likely fail. So that would leave the option of mounting trailer speed rated tires on keyed mower wheels or sourcing trailer wheels/tires and hubs to mount them on.

The big disadvantage of using the mower wheels is you are pretty much locked into a 3/4" keyed axle. If you start with hubs you can opt for either a 3/4" or a 1" axle.

Last edited:

Mor

Reaction score
Pillow block bearings and a keyed axle. At that point you could use riding mower style wheels with keyways in them, or keyed hubs with bolt on wheels. Either way I would use lock collars to keep the wheels from walking up/down the axles.

While at that point it would be tempting to just toss on a pair of riding mower rear tires on keyed wheels - I wouldn't.
The mower tires aren't rated for the speed and would likely fail. So that would leave the option of mounting trailer speed rated tires on keyed mower wheels or sourcing trailer wheels/tires and hubs to mount them on.

The big disadvantage of using the mower wheels is you are pretty much locked into a 3/4" keyed axle. If you start with hubs you can opt for either a 3/4" or a 1" axle.
Great. Thank you. what would you think about a toothed belt, instead of a chain? Chains seem like they can be more dangerous with pinch points and dirtier. Any thoughts on sprocket sizes? Or just keep it one to one? I was thinking that with a larger sprocket on the wheel, the torque would increase, I could be wrong though.

Willie1

Reaction score
A toothed belt would probably be fine, and would be quieter, although I don't know how it would stack up price wise.

Both the belt or chain should have a guard covering it to protect from a lost chain/belt and pinch points.

As to pulley or sprocket sizes - that math would need to be figured out once the target speed, the tire diameter, and
the motor RPM was known.

A separate motor with its own speed controller for each tire would give you the ability to put spin onto the ball to make it curve. If that isn't necessary, a single (larger) motor could be used to drive both tires.

Mor

Reaction score
A toothed belt would probably be fine, and would be quieter, although I don't know how it would stack up price wise.

Both the belt or chain should have a guard covering it to protect from a lost chain/belt and pinch points.

As to pulley or sprocket sizes - that math would need to be figured out once the target speed, the tire diameter, and
the motor RPM was known.

A separate motor with its own speed controller for each tire would give you the ability to put spin onto the ball to make it curve. If that isn't necessary, a single (larger) motor could be used to drive both tires.
Yep. I have two motors already. I’ll make it, it will probably be pretty crappy, and then I’ll buy a real one. However I will have had fun and learned some things. Lol