Electrathon America

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
We are culturally forcing electric vehicles to be "the future" rather than allowing the marketplace to decide. The problem is the people who are pushing this think the general population are akin to apes. There is a trail of money here that will explain this sudden push for EV's, and someday we'll all know better of it.
The free market already chose electric. For my personal use, an ICE-powered car is never a better option.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Is this event really still a thing? The calendar is empty.
It looks like Electrathon is mostly made up of High School & Colledge teams that work on a car during the school year
...& then, race 'em at the end of the school year
...so, most races are in the spring/early summer

Also, looks like it hasn't been as popular since all of the Covid crap :ack2:

From what I've found, they still race 'em in Michigan & Wisconsin
...& also, down in the Florida & Alabama area

This is a race from back in April 2023

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Here is a video on the thoughts, materials & construction methods used to build the Budget-Beater Elactrathon car. :cheers2:

Beware: The materials & construction methods in this video, are NOT what we usually use & do to build go karts :ack2:
...& I don't advise to do it this way :eek:
...but, it's very interesting, to see how others have done things 🤓

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Here is the third (& final) video in the series :thumbsup:

I cover's more of the technical stuff like motor, controller, battery pack & gear ratio

Functional Artist

Reaction score
While doing more research, I found this "oldie but a goodie" (~1980)

Anyone ever heard of the Lucas Engineering School in Burnley?

Check it out, they certainly had/raced some really interesting "creations" :thumbsup:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
While doing more research, I found this "oldie but a goodie" (~1980)

Anyone ever heard of the Lucas Engineering School in Burnley?

Check it out, they certainly had/raced some really interesting "creations" :thumbsup:
That’s where they teach you to suck the light out of everything! Joseph Lucas “The Prince of Darkness”.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread until now. We do something similar here in SW Florida

View attachment 145557
Electrathon America has a Solar Class
...& AFAIU they still run races in a few places, in Florida

Here is an excerpt from the EA rule book

27 SOLAR CLASS
All other Standard Class rules apply with the following additions:
1. Solar panels are permitted provided they are an integral part of the vehicle body and do not protrude to the front, sides or rear.
2. Wings or trailers are not permitted

Here is a link to the rule book ;)
https://www.electrathonamerica.org/_files/ugd/032d61_adf13ba2aa674698914f6caa4a78f49d.pdf

nobled2

Reaction score
Electrathon America has a Solar Class
...& AFAIU they still run races in a few places, in Florida

Here is an excerpt from the EA rule book

27 SOLAR CLASS
All other Standard Class rules apply with the following additions:
1. Solar panels are permitted provided they are an integral part of the vehicle body and do not protrude to the front, sides or rear.
2. Wings or trailers are not permitted

Here is a link to the rule book ;)
https://www.electrathonamerica.org/_files/ugd/032d61_adf13ba2aa674698914f6caa4a78f49d.pdf
Our solar panels protrude everywhere, lol

I think those guys might be a little ahead of us....

My big concern at the moment is finding out how I can get the power curves for a new different motor for us, can't find anything on the ME1003. Only one I can find is for 48volt, we can't really go higher than 36 with our battery limitations. Would love to know what kind of rpm I can expect

nobled2

Reaction score
I don't think 800 Watts will do what we need and we already have the ME1003, it came on another kart from a different school here in the county that is not participating in this any longer. We have used an ME0909 since I inherited this project and made it work great. So good that we can no longer test it on the track at school, too fast to handle the turn. We got 30 mph out of our old kart with that motor before it dumped itself over on its side.

If we can't find the specs for the newer motor, we will probably just swap in one of the spare ME0909 motors that we have and run the snot out of it.

Trying newer batter set-up this year using lithium batteries combining starter batteries and deep cycle batteries in parallel then series to run higher voltage and have what amounts to added capacity due to more of the capacity being useable. Still have no idea if it will work right for the whole race, lol

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I don't think 800 Watts will do what we need and we already have the ME1003, it came on another kart from a different school here in the county that is not participating in this any longer. We have used an ME0909 since I inherited this project and made it work great. So good that we can no longer test it on the track at school, too fast to handle the turn. We got 30 mph out of our old kart with that motor before it dumped itself over on its side.

If we can't find the specs for the newer motor, we will probably just swap in one of the spare ME0909 motors that we have and run the snot out of it.

Trying newer batter set-up this year using lithium batteries combining starter batteries and deep cycle batteries in parallel then series to run higher voltage and have what amounts to added capacity due to more of the capacity being useable. Still have no idea if it will work right for the whole race, lol
The problem is your kart is too top heavy. If I were you I’d be looking for a lighter panel or thinking thin film solar panels. Along with some improved driver skills.

nobled2

Reaction score
The problem is your kart is too top heavy. If I were you I’d be looking for a lighter panel or thinking thin film solar panels. Along with some improved driver skills.
Those are flexible panels up there, we have no other place to put them, and they are already 100 pounds lighter than the old solid ones were. A wider track width would help but the track we will run at for the actual competition has no real turns. It is a 1.88 loop around the campus.

Not worried about stability there but it does make testing difficult, hard to know what it does if you don't have good place to actually do it.

Driver skill was also a problem when she dumped it over, she did not recognize when she was starting to get unstable and lift off accelerator to keep it under control

Functional Artist

Reaction score

OK but, those are both HUGE (power hungry) motors for such a small kart

For comparison,
I have a ME0709 (~8HP) powering my full size motorcycle @ 48V (~50MPH top speed)
...& it can & will draw over 200A at times
A ME0708 (~5HP) powering my Hellraiser kart @ 48V (~35MPH top speed)
...& it can & will draw ~100A
Polaris, my Electrathon race car is powered by a (~1.2HP) MY1020 48V 1,000W motor (~30MPH top speed)
...but, only draws ~20A (peak) & ~12A - 15A (constant)

nobled2

Reaction score
OK but, those are both HUGE (power hungry) motors for such a small kart

For comparison,
I have a ME0709 (~8HP) powering my full size motorcycle @ 48V (~50MPH top speed)
...& it can & will draw over 200A at times
A ME0708 (~5HP) powering my Hellraiser kart @ 48V (~35MPH top speed)
...& it can & will draw ~100A
Polaris, my Electrathon race car is powered by a (~1.2HP) MY1020 48V 1,000W motor (~30MPH top speed)
...but, only draws ~20A (peak) & ~12A - 15A (constant)
What do those weigh in at? We have to meet min weight of 440 pounds plus driver. Once we get up to speed we run at 90ish amps with the 0909 motor. It's a full frame go kart with solar panels added on.

If we can average 30 mph, we can complete each of the first two heats in a minute thirty seconds giving us over 22 minutes to do nothing but recharge batteries.

These are the motors we have available to us. I'm leaning toward just swapping in what we know and running it.