Electonic Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I had another idea. Since on the kart I'm working on (haven't gotten the cv joints back yet:( ) I have the throttle operated with a servo, why not make the steering electronic too? I know I'd need a bigger servo for it and I have a starter motor that I could modify for this purpose. I'd also need to make a heavy duty electronic speed control to be able to handle the power requirements for the motor. Having a steering system this way I could change or adjust how much the wheels respond to how much the steering wheel is turned. What do you guys think?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Ghetto... I just realized I wrote electonic on the title instead of electronic.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
dangerous

electronics would fail especially since it's going to be a bumpy ride

but cool cause later you can convert it to RC

DO as teh russians do
keep it simple and reliable

the ak is a great example

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
LOL, yeah but my kart is not really gonna be for off road use, and it would be pretty cool to make it an RC kart.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dude you're nuts. I liked the throttle that defaults to "off", but what does the steering default to? Pain!

ryf

Reaction score
wiper motor, already geared down slow speed circuit, use a chain, very little sprocket to big on the steering system, and if you do the research, some are reverseable.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
To robert: I know I'm nuts, but that's never stopped me before. :)

To ryf: I like your thinking and I had thought about a wiper motor too. I just don't have one readily available. To make this work though I would also need an alternator cuz I know a battery wouldn't last too long. Maybe Ill go to the junkyard one of these days and see what I can find.

ryf

Reaction score
look for a late 70's early-mid 80's chevy v-6(some v-8's could have them, but some have a 12si, which is ALOT bigger and heavier), it could/should have a 10si Alternator, which can be hooked up with very little wiring(built in regulator). do a search for 10si alternators wiring, there are LOTS of good info available on these. they use the old v-belt pulley, so it'll be easy to hook in. I used one of these on my gocart, you can get them new for under $40-50.

take a jump pack in with you to "test" the wipers for forward/backward.

I will be honest and say, I don't know if this is a "good" idea. but alot of people scoffed at me using a lawn tractor engine and trans for mine, and its running strong. and without people who try things, how do we learn.. I would say, I'd make it RC first for testing, and then drive it with the remote while your on it. good luck with it.

I might start a thread on those ALT's

Last edited:

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
I personally think that if you already know the consequences of it if it fails, you should do it. It sounds awesome. Complicated, (For just a steering system.) but awesome.

mikeandike

Reaction score
Get an alternator because if you use a battery and it dies... Hah... just thought of something if the battery dies your throttle control will shut off if hooked up to the same battery. Just make sure you make the brakes mechanically connected if you use a battery. But id still get an alternator... just in case.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Well the brakes were definitely not gonna be electric. The throttle system, I was thinking of giving it it's own battery. The only reason I even thought of putting in an alternator was because if I did make the steering electric then a battery alone would not last too long.

I was messing with the starter and the good news is I successfully modified my starter to rotate in both directions. The bad news; one, it looks like a monster with the cables coming out of it (frankenstart? LOL. see pic below), two, I completely forgot that there's a one-way bearing inside the gearbox so it makes the output shaft completely useless in one direction, unless I was to weld it on the inside or something but I don't know about that.

Oh well, I guess I'll set this motor aside and maybe use it for something else later on.

BTW, thanks to ryf for all the good alt. info!

I have a friend who had to replace the motors in his power windows because some small pulleys broke, I'm gonna ask him if he still has them. They were about the same size as the one's for windshield wipers. Maybe I could use those and I know for sure those were reversible.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 26

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I asked my friend about those window motors and I not only got that, I got a bonus of 3 electric scooters in the process! When I went to go pick up the window motors, he said: "Oh yeah, by the way, my cousin had asked me to tell you a while ago if you wanted some electric scooters that he doesn't want anymore." I know I couldn't see my own face but I'm sure it lit up when I heard that. We quickly headed out for his house and the cousin said. "I think we threw them out this morning but go check in the back." Luckily they were still there. All three of them have something cosmetically wrong with them, but that's ok. I just want the motors and maybe see about using the controllers on them. Heck, I might modify one and put a gas engine on it. :D

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I had thought about the whole electronic steering thing and am now gearing towards the direction where instead of making the whole system electronic, I could use the window motor and make it more of like a power steering system, where the motor would just help push it one way or the other when I turn the steering wheel. There would still be a physical link between the steering wheel and the tires with just the motor there to assist. Why make it so complicated? I don't know honestly, I just want to make SOMETHING. I still haven't gotten my CV joints but I found out that they haven't been machined yet, :( the guy wants me to stop by his shop one of these days and show him what I'm trying to do. He's worried about safety.

robin

Reaction score
why cany you just rip the stering outa a real car with power stering hook the pump to your engine etc still complecated and all lol

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
you too week to turn the wheel all by yourself? :p

LOL, no, btw you misspelled "weak". I just want to do something different and still functional. Not just to make it look or be all complicated.

I had actually thought about that, going to the junkyard and using parts from a car. I just don't want to use the whole hydraulic pump thing, I'm much better with electronics. What I would do is mount a sensor to the steering wheel that would detect when it's moving in a certain direction and pulse the motor to turn in the same direction in way it wouldn't be moving constantly but it would make turning the wheel easier and maybe more responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.