El Cheapo Dead Axle Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokarttimmy

Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
14
Location
Pittsburgh,Pa.
001.jpg I saw this for sale locally-got it cheap. It's a bit small, with a 42" wheelbase, but I can still fit on it. I originally thought I would modify the rear to take a live axle and a right side engine plate, but the more I look at it the more I seem to want to just fix it up like it is-dead axle and all. Maybe my trusty 212 Predator and some 4" slicks from my parts inventory.....
The first things that went were the homemade 1/2" steering column and homemade 2 1/4" spindles.
Anyone out there know were I can get spindles with a barrel height of 2 1/4 inches? Azusa makes 2 1/2", but nothing smaller. BMI sells weld-it kits that are 2"-perhaps I can use a spacer....The bolt is 5/8" so the builder got that right.

002.jpg

003.jpg
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Sorry but....
To heck with BMI karts! 10bucks for parts that weigh less than a pound and$15 for Shipping!!!

I am so sick of them... Great prices they have about everything and
BAM they really stick it to you on the Shipping.
My wife ships stuff and has a UPS account BMI is ripping people off on the Trumped up UPS Fees!
Fuget About it!
Rant over:backtotopic:
 

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
24
Location
Central PA
I ordered 2 clutches, and a few small clone parts from bmi, I think the shipping was less than $10. I thought it was reasonable for what I got.

Anywho, nice kart. Those one wheel peel units are pretty fun. My friend had a 3.5hp powered one and it hauled my carcass around pretty good.
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
Get the Azusa spindles and cut 1/4" off (or cut 1/8" from each end).
Or get the 2" spindles and some washers to act as spacers.
Either will work.
 

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
5
Location
Hood River, OR, In a galaxy far far away
"El Barato" ("The Cheap One" in Spanish) Sounds a little cooler, but I don't think you really care about names Haha :D

Hey, when you're ordering $150 of wheels from BMI, $20 shipping is pretty reasonable, and those are heavy boxes. When I get wheels is when I pile all of the bearings and other cheap parts on.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
"
Hey, when you're ordering $150 of wheels from BMI, $20 shipping is pretty reasonable, and those are heavy boxes. When I get wheels is when I pile all of the bearings and other cheap parts on.

See that's my point 20 bucks for Wheels and other bits. Good
But $15 for 2 little bits, pissed me off!
 

gokarttimmy

Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
14
Location
Pittsburgh,Pa.
How do you fix these-or do you?

004.jpg Ouch-looks like Grandpa had one beer too many when he tried sonny's kart-what a shame....What do you do with dents like these? I hate like heck to cut it off and weld on a new loop....

005.jpg
 

gokarttimmy

Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
14
Location
Pittsburgh,Pa.
It's Coming Along

12961190_1318381318177053_6358853765196267769_o.jpgThe Streaker is slowly coming along....I had some 4" Azusalites in my parts bin, so they're goin' on the front. The rears are 4" also-I like the looks of the little 4.10-3.50 x 4 slicks.

12983435_1318381611510357_413288586708529706_o.jpgThis pocket bike gas tank holds about 3/10s of a gallon-plenty for a parking lot assault.

12973207_1318382608176924_6607407849492211830_o.jpgThe overall look is starting to take shape.....

11181216_1318382248176960_6138927438360653017_o.jpgNew Azusa pedals will be mounted about 2" forward of original for more comfort. This was a kid's kart-not anymore.
A 212 Predator with new air cleaner and a header will scoot this thing pretty well with 12/60 gearing.
 

gokarttimmy

Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
14
Location
Pittsburgh,Pa.
More Progress

003.jpgThe pedals have been moved forward and the front frame tube makes a perfect footrest.

007.jpgSomeone in the past welded on this HIDEOUS engine plate-well, today it came off.

005.jpgA 212 Predator is a tight fit, but will work.

004.jpgWhat was left of the kill switch mount is now gone.
 

gokarttimmy

Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
14
Location
Pittsburgh,Pa.
It's Coming Along.....

001.jpgHere is El Cheapo back from the fabrication shop-now it has steering.... I mocked up the whole thing to see what it will look like. That 99cc Predator looks like it belongs on there!!

002.jpg

004.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top