Edge Taipan buggy build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
OK, so for those of you who don't know i have recently discovered a big area of land covered with packed dirt roads, little sand pits, and ATV trails! after finding this place the first thing i thought was, i need to ride here! then i realized that my kart would probably not be the kick in the pants riding i would want on terrain like this.

my next thought was, dune buggy! i have always wanted to make a dune buggy, off road is just way more fun than pot hole dodging in my neighbor hood. i started looking around at pictures on google images and looking at different plans, trying to find something that looked like it would work. then fowler suggested i look at one of the edge buggys, so i went over to the edge website and clicked on the Taipan.

the taipan seemed nearly perfect!
-simple
-good sized engine
-and it said it was better than a Honda odyssey, which after reading all of bigheads posts's about them sounded like a great choice (would have bought an ody, but i really like building stuff!)
- the plans are from a good company so hopefully good handling! (i'm tired of my kart's horrible handling/ not flipping over ability)
-full roll cage!
- with good paint and well placed aluminum brush guards i'm rolling in style! :auto:

only downside was no suspension, i kinda wanted suspension, but considering i had a sand pit and packed trails to ride on i decided i would be fine (its not like i'm going to be going 40mph all the time) plus not having any it keeps things cheep and simple.

anyway i was very curiouse and exited, so i bought these plans!:arf:

Now the build begins!

budget:
i should be able to gather up about $1,000 between now and the end of fall (will hopefully get some cash, or maybe parts for my b-day).

schedule:
i would really like to have i up and running by the middle of the summer, but judging how these things go, that wont happen :toetap05:

parts:
-used/crashed motorcycle, 250cc single cylinder, with brakes and other goodies! :2guns:
-modified car steering rack from junk yard
-one of those high back poly seats
-5 point race harness (i already own 2 race certified ones!)
-atv rims and tires, either e'l cheep-o china stuff, craigslist deal, or maybe some used ones from some friends of mine.
-sprocket for rear
-trailer hubs and stub axles fo front wheels
-modified trailer hubs for rear
- some random gas tank i find (white size tank would be good?)
-hiems for steering
- 2 pillow blocks for rear
- few keyed hubs from surplus center
-steering wheel

and thats it! everything else i will make! i am going to need to find someone with a mill and a lathe, but i think the local shop has both.

so far my only problem i have faced is finding the correct sized metal, since most of the measurements are metric i have to find imperial sized tubes that are approximately the same size.

20mm sq tube = 3/4" sq tube
30mm sq tube = 1 3/16" sq tube, but i doubt i can buy that anywhere so i will probably have to move up to 1 1/4" sq tube.
and of course theres the slim chance i can buy metric sized tube locally....

anyway, i an't wait to get started on the frame, but i'm probably going to wait until after spring break, if not a while after, i would like to source the engine and seat first, but maybe i'll just get to work on the frame anyway! in the meantime i gotta source a motorcycle!:wai:

:cheers2:

EDIT: Holy poop! i write more here than i do in English class :D

redsox985

Reaction score
I vote for at least a swing arm. How about that panhard bar thing that I was so intrigued by recently?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
idk, i don't think it will be a big deal, i'll be using huge tires, and i'm not planning to jump this thing, go super fast, or go over extremely rough terrain. but if i do change my mind at some point (trust me i haven't really made my decision completely yet) i was thinking either trailing a-arms, double or single a-arms up front, and if i'm really desperate a rear swing arm. i thought about building a sidewinder, but the extra cost and the fact that it would be severe over kill turned me away.

fowler

Reaction score
if u get the right tyres there is no need

get a 250 2 stroke or just a dirt bike

i got a 250 road bike and the low end toque isnt there

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
ok, so i'm not sure what tires to get, but theses are cheep. do you think these tires would be good, or do you think they wouldn't flex very much and ruin the idea of big tires for suspension?
http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/cPath/50_111/products_id/18048

i'm thinking will use these hubs,

front:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1133&catname=wheels

rear:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3093&catname=wheels

the only thing i'm worried about is the hubs having too large an outer dia to actually fit into the rims, but scaling the picture it doesn't look like a problem.

also for the front spindles i plan to use these,
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=wheels&item=1-1128

can anyone see any problems? the spindles in the plans are like these, are those better than what i have in the link above for any reason? will they affect the buggy? if no one is really sure i will just e-mail edge, or post on there forum.

Thanks!

p.s. i will think about a 2 stroke dirt bike engine, but it seems like a ton of others have had success with motorcycle engines, and i am riding kinda close to some houses, and i think a 4 stroke scream would be much less noticeable than a 2 stroke. still something to consider though. could also look for a larger engine. i remember reading that a single cylinder would be much better for a buggy, is that right? or does it not matter much?

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
i would get a 4 stroke honda. im not sure how much they would cost, but how much do you want to spend on an engine?

a snowmobile engine would be nice, but then again they can be loud and thats bad if you want a place to ride that is near somewhere close by.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
yea, 4 stroke, single cylinder, 250cc, 5-6 speed, electric start. i will go with pretty much any name brand, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda. My plan is to get a used/crashed bike, for probably 500 at the most, then take the brakes, engine, wiring harness, etc. then sell the rest of it and hopefully only endup spending 2-3 hundred, but maybe if i get a good deal i can break even, and get free engine plus brakes, or even make some cash (i'm probably just dreaming there... :D)

my basic view point

suspension: added cost(I'm 13! i feel great-full that i can have a budget of 1,000!), weight, and complexity, and although its nice, if i don't really need any, why bother? if its really that bad i will add some suspension(i have some ideas on how i could do that pretty easily) but after carefully looking at videos of the Taipan, and walking around all the trails, it just doesn't seam needed, the most it will need to deal with is the few stray sticks scattered across the trail.

Engine:
my focus on 2 vs 4 stroke here, 2 stroke is more powerful, simpler, and weighs less, but if it irritates the neighbors i won't be able to use it anyway! besides, i plan to gear this thing low. now normally a 4 stroke wouldn't be that much better than a 2 stroke noise wise, but I'm next to the high way, so if they hear a dirt bike engine, they will assume dirt bike on the trails, if they hear motorcycle, they will assume motorcycle on the high way. maybe I'm just wasting time and they wouldn't care (good chance they don't) but i think i will just play it cool, like i said, i just want to go like 45 max, and go up big sandy hills!

as for the trails, i found a second one of those snowmobiles from the 70's, this one has no engine or driver, but everything else is there, once i make my buggy i will strap it to the top of the buggy and bring it home!

as for the friends vehicle, i'm thinking over the winter i will make either a mini bike with loads of power, or one of those homemade quads (might convert my kart to a snowmobile using the old snowmobile parts)

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
if u get the right tyres there is no need

get a 250 2 stroke or just a dirt bike

i got a 250 road bike and the low end toque isnt there

A two stroke would be the worst idea IMO.

4 Stroke single cylinder, has more usable low end power than a 2 stroke would.

Jeremy.

bighead

Reaction score
Did you read this thread last week abot cheap buggy suspension? Might want to check it out. Under $150 for complete suspension with hubs and 8" wheels. Something to ponder friend.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10801

If you are thinking about the Ody front suspension setup. I will make you a super cheap deal on most the parts. I have about 3 sets of j-arms with spindles and hubs. Also have piles of wheels and tires. Basicaly give them to you so I can learn from your build. As you can see I plan to use the setup as well. I have everything but the front cross bar. May have some shocks. Pay for shipping and it is yours. Wheels and all. Let me know.

If you do not use the Ody stuff. I would get the three wheeler ody type tire. The tire is kind of like suspension. I call them balloon tires.

I would add suspension friend. If not after awhile it will be like a big go kart.

Reconsider the Ody option. It cost me $800 to build this one. $500 after I sold the sled parts. and I can make money if I sold it. It's a Honda. Well YamaHon anyway. I agree with making your own though. I just had to defend the good ol Ody. Plus look at it this way. If you bought a basket case Ody for $200. Then put $800 into that Ody.(which would notbe needed) You would have one bad *** Ody that would use the Taipan for traction. The resale value of the Honda Odyssey would also beat the Taipan.. IDK man. For a $1000 you could have a 100% full restore Ody. New plastics and everything rebuilt and painted. If the Taipan had suspension I would not have type such a long reply. I just think your ody option is better for you now. And the long run. Remember there Hondas and there is always a market for them. A restored Ody will run another 25 years easy. Plus you can drive them anywhere. They do not care. Something to think about.

Edit. You could build the blue Odyssey with $1000 if you can bend and weld. The over time you mod your ody out to the max and make it like the yellow one. Also do not forget Killdozers sled engine swap. Remember that?

Attachments

• CIMG4170.jpg
    CIMG4170.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG4476.jpg
    CIMG4476.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG0400.jpg
    CIMG0400.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 44

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
thanks bighead.

yes i did look at the thread you made (posted it i my old thread i think). that idea is one of the options i was thinking for front suspension. thanks for the offer on the parts, it sounds like a great deal, but i'm not sure how interested mom and dad will be about buying stuff through a go kart forum..... IDK. the only other thing i thought of with the ody suspension is bump steer. i know they have all the angles worked out on the ody frame, but not sure how easy it would be to adapt to a different frame.

what i had in mind for suspension if i wanted it was to cut off the frame right in front of the pedals, then make a new piece of the frame, kinda like a box that is 8" wide, and have it stick out the front of the newly shortened frame. then weld two pairs of double a-arms, and make shock mounts. for the rear i was thinking i would pretty much cut out the bottom rear corners then add trailing arms.

now all that said i have made my decision, i'm going to say that the sidewinder is over kill, i just don't have room for such a machine. i wouldn't mind some suspension on the Taipan, but with huge tires and only riding on sand and hardpack (not bumpy at all, rode up there again today to make sure) i don't see the need. plus the Taipan has a very well designed frame, looks very strong!

i'm going to keep things simple and cheep, which is about what i'm looking for now.

as for the tires, do you think the ones in the link i posted will work well to absorb the small sticks and occasional small bumps? i would like balloon tires but they seem expensive!

bighead

Reaction score
Okay cool friend. If you change your mind I can make a ebay listing if that makes it any better. I wish you luck what ever you do. Plus the enjoy of building it?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Hey thanks man! if i do change my mind i will defiantly consider your offer, probably the most likely way to get me back on the trails ASAP. yup, i actually find i often enjoy building stuff more than using it, but something like this will be sure to be VERY entertaining! i was just thinking, and maybe an ody would be a good vehicle for friends to ride, would be good because my friends probably would have no clue how to use a manual, and there parents would probably prefer something that isn't homemade.

i will tell you that i plan to use POR15 as long as i'm not wayyyyy over budget come painting time!

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i road around on the trails again today, found even more trails, these ones look like a ton of fun, right next to the highway too so no one will care!

i also figured out pricing, looks like i should have $400 to spend on the bike (after i sell unused parts) and the raw materials required to make the buggy.

my questions:

1. will these tires work well, or would balloon tires be much better at absorbing the occasional bump?
http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/cPath/50_111/products_id/18048

2. any problems with using spindles like this? i wouldn't think so, but the plans suggest different ones.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=wheels&item=1-1128

3. should i try to get a single cylinder, or is it fine if i get a twin cylinder?

bighead

Reaction score
You must remember por15 does not like shinny new metal. You need to let it rust for a week or sandblast. por15 needs tooth to work right. sharp corners should be sanded smooth.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Nice! 27hp@7500RPM- That'll do! You can use the brakes, too, and maybe some other stuff.

I'd grab the trailer while I'm at it, especially if it's only $50 with the bike. Have the guy load it, and it'll be ready to rock when you arrive!

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
ok, after looking around it doesn't look like rear suspension is very reasonable to make unless i mount the engine on the swing arm, but that would be a good bit of unsprung weight, but on the other hand, no suspension would create even more unsprung weight.... i almost wish i hadn't found that picture.....

i kinda want to build a sidewinder, but i'm having trouble finding a good motor for a sidewinder, and i already spent money on the taipan plans!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.