drum brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
remove the actuator cable. take a pair of pliers or crescent wrench and size it to the brake arm. work it back and forth. when it does work back and forth enough, find the center of it's throw. remove the wheel with the brake hub if at all possible. removing the hub by itself can be a pain. when the hub is removed from the spindle, unbolt the actuator arm and remove the brake shoes. once these are removed, tap out the rotator/actuator. inspect the seal for the act. check for pitting, if too badly pitted, it is advisable to replace. get a bottle brush or roll up some 200-400 grit sandpaper and derust the area. that is if it is not full of grease. check the shoe return springs (they hold the shoes together). sometimes the brake material will come loose from the frames and jam up the drum. but most times it is a lack of maintenance after riding in water/mud/sand.

Benjo

KRAZY KIWI
Reaction score
its a hydraulic brake so i dont think that will work, but thanks anyway.
i got it moving again using a can of wd-40 a hammer and a screwdriver. the brake hose is broken so i guess i wont have any brakes up front because im too cheap to buy a new hose :D
how do i get the hydraulic brake open so i can clean it, because it sounds really rough inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.