driving a tc off a tc

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I have wondered for a long time what would happen if you dove one tc off the output of another. I was recently reminded of this question when reading the thread "Parallel Torque Converters?". I was thinking maybe you would have an extra low and high range. what are your thoughts?

Mrben522

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the gains from the extra gearing would offset the extra power loss from the second TC. A good converter should really take you as high and low as your powerband can handle.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
One belt drive means you loose around 1/5 of your power. Two in succession means you've probably lost 40% of your power. Your 6.5 HP engine will be delivering about 3.9 pony powers to the second jackshaft, that's if it even works.

Snaker

Reaction score
Probably have to experiment to tell.
I think you might have some conflicts between the two. As one upshifts, the other one may do its Torque Sensing (TS) thing and backshift (forced downshift).
Maybe if you removed TS on say the front CVT you could aleve the conflict?
For that matter you could switch that CVT from a flyweight/centrifugal type to a linkage/throwout bearing type.
At that point you could also add a manual gearbox in line with the other CVT.
And at that point you could go to larger diameter CVT pullies, they give more range of gearing.