Driver pulley rpm limit?

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I finally found a long flat desolate road to test the top speed on my stage 2 Murray Explorer with a 30 series TAV and governor delete. It was revving quickly from 3,500 to 5,000 rpm then it just stopped revving and took a long time (probably another 1/8th mile) to go from 5,000 rpms to 5,100 rpms. I'm curious if i've found the limit of the stock driver pulley? I was thinking about getting the Juggernaut pulley since my motor is built to go to 7k+ rpm.

Also, after the last top speed run I noticed that my catch can had spewed blowby out of the top vent filter and the bottom drain and was all over the frame lol. Do I need to put O-rings around the fittings or get a better catch can? Its just the $25 catch can from GPS

anickode

Reaction score
Once the driver pulley has hit top ratio, you can spin it till it flies apart (which will happen eventually), but there's not really a hard "limit".

Sounds to me like your engine just hasn't got the oomph to move the kart any faster.

Of course, you're losing 20-30% of your peak power in that belt drive.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
Am I losing that much power through the belt? That makes sense. It feels like it can go a bit faster if the pulleys and belt are cold. A friend of mine on here used to have a centrifugal clutch setup on the same kart and he could do almost 60 with the full cage. I know the clutch isn't good for offroad/trail riding with 18" tires.

I have a split sprocket on the way to replace my worn out 60t axle sprocket. I can adjust my gearing if needed as well

anickode

Reaction score
Torque converters are great when you spend a lot of time at partial throttle. No clutch slip to worry about, and the variable ratio makes up for not being in the engines power band.

For top speed, a good clutch is the way to go. Nearly 100% efficient at full lockup.

And yes, a torque converter can cost you near 30% of your total power output. Again, you tend not to notice it under acceleration and lower speeds.