drill starter

redflash

Reaction score
Has anyone built a drill starter setup with a bendix ( clockwise) drive off a car starter to use with your cordless drill ?

Da Flash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Car starter has a lot of torque, way more than needed for a single-cylinder engine, while any decent 1/2" cordless drill of 18 vdc or more should be sufficient to spin up your motor, and already has a chuck for the socket that fits your flywheel nut. So you apparently just want the bendix off of the car starter to work with a cordless drill.
Are you wanting a bendix assembly so you can permanently mount the drill and bendix together on the engine and just press a starter switch?

redflash

Reaction score
I;ve seen on "you tube" using a bendix drive ( just the drive ) merely because it's a one direction drive that will not tear your arm off when the motor kicks. Guys have been welding a socket extension on one end ( to place a 19mm socket to insert on the flywheel nut), and on the other end weld a piece of 3/8 allen wrench to be gripped in the cordless drill. Then they can use this device in a cordless drill to start a predator type motor...like pro go Kart racers start their motors. I have an electric start, but want an additional was to start the motor aside from the pull cord.

Da Flash

Warthog

Reaction score
Weld a socket to abendix and give it a try lol.

Let us know how it works. 👍

Willie1

Reaction score
Both Toro and Craftsman have had small outdoor equipment that started off a small separate motor or an adaptor for a drill - both had a shaft that went through an access hole in the recoil cover to index a drive coupler. I think both setups had one way clutches to protect the starters against being over-revved. I doubt if either setup would last long starting a 212ish engine.

Something to consider too is that a typical small engine electric starter is bolted to the block and has the torque multiplication of the starter tooth/ring gear tooth ratio to help roll the motor over. Driving the crank at a 1:1 ratio needs a sturdy drill with a lot of torque - which can injure your wrists if/when it kicks back. Mustie1 on YouTube uses this method a lot in his repair videos, and I have seen a few times where it bit him.

Willie1

Reaction score
I;ve seen on "you tube" using a bendix drive ( just the drive ) merely because it's a one direction drive that will not tear your arm off when the motor kicks.

Da Flash
The drive does nothing to protect against kick-back - it protects the starter from being over-revved when the motor starts. They do not have a break-away clutch to limit the torque transferred back to the starter on a kick-back.

As to a "one way" drive set-up - Northern Tool - among others - sell rachet adapters that would do the same basic thing a bendix does. It would be easy to set up one for drill operation. Here's an example.

Attachments

• Rachet.jpg
    Rachet.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6

karl

Reaction score
Northern Tool - among others - sell rachet adapters that would do the same basic thing a bendix does.
You beat me! I was just at harbor freight looking for that, apparently they no longer carry one.

Need to make a handheld racing kart type starter

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I have an electric start,
So if the electric start ain't makin' it, seems like 1 of 3 things.............. 1: You want to upgrade to a high-rpm-rated flywheel (not available in a toothed starter type flywheel) for safety and higher rpm power, or 2: You're cranking the electric start and it ain't cranking up, or 3: You're as OCD as I am and just want anything and everything and something to work when you get to the ride destination ready to start riding.
So what is it, something like that, or what else?

karl

Reaction score
It's finished. You might get laughed at on the track, but it's functional!

Attachments

• 20220207_224834.jpg
    20220207_224834.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220207_224923.jpg
    20220207_224923.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220207_224958.jpg
    20220207_224958.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
it's functional!
Holy weightlifters, Batman! It has 2 handles for 2 of the pit crew, how much does that thing weigh? And is that a 1-way ratchet or bendix or whatever holding the socket? 6-point socket for strength, or 12-point socket for easy fitting? What are the curved teeth on the ends of the metal plate all about? Starter button on the crew chief's side only, none on the other side?

karl

Reaction score
Id have to check, probally getting close a predator motor. It's managable.
Girth is good, helps absorb some rotational force.

Yeah 1 way ratchet adapter, and just picked up a dedicated 1/2 drive 6pt 3/4 impact socket for the purpose.
Snap-off of course.

I used a sprocket I had in the scrap bin, the bolt pattern lined up the the holes in the bearing block,
and already had a cutout for the shaft. Run whatcha brung.

Yeah control only for the chief, you don't want multiple people in charge , confuzzions are imminent .

karl

Reaction score
What is the starter motor off of?
Kohler 7000 series V-twin , and 190CCA battery. With 2 to 1 reduction , it should spin over my 5hp briggs quick like.

Also the ratchet adapter is bolted to the extension, and I drilled / tapped the socket for a 1/4-20 set
screw , lil more retention than the click ball alone, so it does not fall off into the billet flywheel and ruin your day.

karl

Reaction score
With the sprocket being mounted in the same place as the starter gear extented was,
ill be just fine. Worse case I have a lifetime supply of these starters. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking this thread redflash, but kickback is not going to be an issue.
It has tons of extra power and instantly gets the flatty pushing 9 to 1 without compression release
spinning like nothing is there.

Any updates on the you ordered?