Doodlebug Stretch Finished...

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
Found a $25 Doodlebug, so I'm starting a build for fun. Plan is to make something to run fast for fun. Here's the original bike & a few shots of the work in progress. I used 7/8" DOM tubing & slugs to put it back together.

Still a lot to do, but it's a start. Lots left to do, little by little...

Attachments

• DB-Bought.jpg
    DB-Bought.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Frame-Cut.jpg
    Frame-Cut.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Frame-Clamped.jpg
    Frame-Clamped.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Frame-Stretch.jpg
    Frame-Stretch.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 8-ext.jpg
    8-ext.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 28

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
Did a couple of gussets to stiffen the frame a bit up front. Will be moving the motor to the rear & getting a new plate for the mount.

Attachments

• Gusset.jpg
    Gusset.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 15

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
A few more progress pictures...

It's running now, but idle jet on the Chikuni is too rich, so I'm waiting for idle jets to get the tuning correct.

pearl111

Reaction score
Nice bike good job I like it. Just wondering with that back sprocket is it hard to keep the front wheel on the ground?

I have a doodle bug with a pred. 212 and a 70tooth sprocket, but right now I'm putting a 62 sprocket on because its hard to handle cause the front wheel wont stay down. Even at low speed if I hit the gas hard the bike wants to flip me off the back.

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
With the 10 tooth front & 48 tooth rear sprocket, it's an easy ride. The extra 8" in wheelbase, 4.8:1 gears, clutch which locks up at about 3,000 rpms makes for a smooth ride with no wheelies. A torque converter would be different.

Top speed should be about 65 mph, but I need to actually clock it to see where I am with this setup. If the top rpms I can turn are 7000, that makes for 65 mph with a 15" tire. I'm not as good off the line with these gears, but I have a better top end, which is what I wanted for this build.

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
Here's how it looks now, still a few things left to do, but it's getting there. Need to take the slop out of the steering now, add a damper & make a few more adjustments. I guess it's never really done until it's gone....

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
OK, I got some bronze bushings from McMaster-Carr to fix the steering slop problem. Here's what I did. First, used a step drill to open up the holes to 1/2" from the original size, about 10mm, but they were pretty sloppy after years of riding.

Drilled.jpg

Next, I drilled out the bushings to 10mm (had to order 3/8" ID X 1/2" OD flange bushings) & pressed them in place. Snug fit, but they went in well enough. Set them to take out some of th vertical slop but still had to add a couple more washers. With the new bearings they are nice & tight now.

Bushings.jpg

Put it back together, did some paint touch-up to fix a few nicks & scratches from the work. The 8mm hole on the bottom spreader is for the steering damper. Still need to weld a tab onto the frame for the mount.

Front-S.jpg

That's it for this week, waiting for the damper to arrive next week. Will post the rest of the mods next week, almost finished now with it, I think?

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
Couple more pictures. New 1/8" SS brake disc & steering damper arrived early for a change...

NewDisc-s.jpg

Damper-s.jpg

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
Also, the tires were both very slow leakers somehow, but would lose air over about a month. Never did find an actual cause. Counld have been the stems, beads or pin-holes somewhere. I went to a local cycle shop & bought some sealant, so hopefully that problem is solved now. We'll have to see how it works.

Noseoil

Terrible Tim
Reaction score
This is all it will do with this motor, but it's fast enough for an old guy who rides, don't want to go faster any more. The red bike does a bit better than this, but ..TopSpeed.jpg