Don't know what size belt I need

go kart man

Reaction score
I have a go-kart with a problem and I do not know how to fix it. Basically, I got a new Predator 212cc engine and when I drive the go-kart the belt will flap or tear up if I go a certain speed. Now I know I can go faster because the go-kart belt will start doing this at 10-15 MPH and the go-kart motor is supposed to go about 30-40 MPH. I am wondering if a torque converter will fix the problem but I think have one on there already. do you know what I may need to buy for my go-kart?
If you have any questions or need more photos let me know. My belt size is 203589/5959

IMG_20231019_131820.jpgIMG_20231019_131902.jpgIMG_20231019_131829.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
You have a basic 30 series clone driver clutch for sure, but it looks like a 40 series driven. Remove the existing belt and let's see the rear sheave of that driven.

The 30 series is the only one with a "flat" shave facing the engine... it's not actually flat but the angle is so shallow it looks it.

The one issue for sure is your sheave alignment is off, your driven and driver inboard sheaves need to be as close to perfectly aligned or belts will get eaten... if you have a 40 series driven (symmetrical belt \_/ ) with a 30 series driver asymmetrical \_| ) then you have to fix that first with either getting a 40 series driver and a belt, or a 30 series driven and a belt.

Your final drive ratio COULD be an issue, but is an unknown variable beyond the known issues already pointed out and won't matter until those are corrected.

Attachments

• Comet's belt chart.pdf
    188.3 KB · Views: 0

go kart man

Reaction score
Ok,!
here are the pictures
I think I will get a 30-series-driven then I will also need a new belt correct? after that, everything should be fine??? IMG_20231021_154615.jpgIMG_20231021_154607.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
Will everything be fine if I get a new torque converter?
Nah that's definitely a 30 series driver, and a 40 series driven.

You need to pick one or the other and match it.
The 30 series is cheaper and can handle the task fine, and 40 series is beefier but not quite over kill...Get a 30 series driven, OR a 40 series driver.

Whichever way you go you need a new belt regardless because you've skinned it up already and probably got "the cheapest belt to get it done"
Genuine Comet, A&I, are in the top 5 to use, anything made in China isn't worth the time wasted waiting alone.

/5959 is a Manco Kart belt number IGNORE IT!!!
203589A and 5959 ARE NOT THE SAME size the 5959 are just enough too big that they won't last Long before the have engagement issues and slippage.

Visually at a glance, yes a 5959 and a 203589A appear identical but the difference is something like 1/16th or some other seemingly insignificant fraction.

Last edited:

go kart man

Reaction score
Nah that's definitely a 30 series driver, and a 40 series driven.

You need to pick one or the other and match it.
The 30 series is cheaper and can handle the task fine, and 40 series is beefier but not quite over kill...Get a 30 series driven, OR a 40 series driver.

Whichever way you go you need a new belt regardless because you've skinned it up already and probably got "the cheapest belt to get it done"
Genuine Comet, A&I, are in the top 5 to use, anything made in China isn't worth the time wasted waiting alone.

/5959 is a Manco Kart belt number IGNORE IT!!!
203589A and 5959 ARE NOT THE SAME size the 5859 are just enough too big that they won't last Long before the have engagement issues and slippage.

Visually at a glance, yes a 5959 and a 203589A appear identical but the difference is something like 1/16th or some other seemingly insignificant fraction.
ok, thanks for the help