Don't jump to conclusions too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie

Reaction score
I have a water pump with a 6.5 hp Chinese Honda clone. The pump was brand new 2 years ago, it ran for a total of about an hour, then it sat until last week. I remember it having a little bit of gasoline in the tank.

I put some gasoline in it and pulled the rope, but it didn't start. I pulled the carburetor bowl off and cleaned the jet with a blowtorch tip cleaner, and then I cleaned the crud deposits out of the bowl. Then I put the bowl back on, opened the fuel valve, and it started. It quit after about ten seconds.

I fooled around with it for the next 20 minutes or so, blowing through the jet, looking for particles, running it at high throttle, running it at low throttle, choking it at the last minute as it died, but nothing changed. It always ran for about ten seconds and then died.

I figured it was something to do with the fuel supply. I don't know why, but some weird idea prompted me to unplug the low oil sensor. I started it, and it ran great. So I added a few ounces of oil, plugged the sensor back in, and it has performed perfectly since then.

I just thought I would share this story because it's nice to be reminded sometimes to think outside the box.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
I have been accused of jumping to conclusions too quickly on a few other forums. I have learned to be mythodical and start with the basics. Simple things, which may be unlikely but take 2 seconds to check.
E.g. Is there gas in the tank, is the kill switch on, is the kill wire damaged etc.
Then go onto more complex things- fuel spark compression. Knock them down.
Take out the plug and replace it, that eliminates one problem, and check for spark so you know the magneto is functioning (within reason)
And so on...

For example, with my brothers truck the mechanic couldn't fix, ther was a simple problem- the keyway on the crank t belt pulley was not installed correctly, so the valve timing was out.
Start real basic, then remember fuel, spark, compression, timing. Engines are easy- suck squeeze bang blow.

And for electrics, start simple again, knocking out any potential problems- is there the correct voltage etc.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I figured it was something to do with the fuel supply. I don't know why, but some weird idea prompted me to unplug the low oil sensor. I started it, and it ran great. So I added a few ounces of oil, plugged the sensor back in, and it has performed perfectly since then.

I just thought I would share this story because it's nice to be reminded sometimes to think outside the box.

Actually, I'm glad you brought this up. I had this exact problem with my clone right after I purchased it. I intended to do a test run to make sure all was good before performing a governorectomy. I threw some oil and fuel in- a la eyeball- and lit it. Ran for a second or two, and quit.

Did the same thing. About ten times. I was really scratching my head. Brand new engine! Remembering the dreaded sensor, I checked the oil again- a bit low, but certainly enough to protect it for a 5-minute run in. Unplugging the sensor, I fired it up and ran it in- perfectly! D'OH!:mad2:

OzFab

Reaction score
I have been accused of jumping to conclusions too quickly on a few other forums. I have learned to be mythodical and start with the basics. Simple things, which may be unlikely but take 2 seconds to check.
E.g. Is there gas in the tank, is the kill switch on, is the kill wire damaged etc.
Then go onto more complex things- fuel spark compression. Knock them down.
Take out the plug and replace it, that eliminates one problem, and check for spark so you know the magneto is functioning (within reason)
And so on...

For example, with my brothers truck the mechanic couldn't fix, ther was a simple problem- the keyway on the crank t belt pulley was not installed correctly, so the valve timing was out.
Start real basic, then remember fuel, spark, compression, timing. Engines are easy- suck squeeze bang blow.

And for electrics, start simple again, knocking out any potential problems- is there the correct voltage etc.

For someone so young you really know what you're doing; good on you!

Oh, BTW: It's methodical, as in following a method :D

Brandon1023

needs an oil change
Reaction score
I know what you're sayin. Haha. Sometimes, you may think the problem is more serious than you anticipated. Then you find out you left the fuel valve closed. Actually, 2 weeks ago, I fixed a mower for someone who called me off CL and it ran fine at first, but then it became questionable with the amount of force it took to start. So I showed him how to ensure it's choked etc. Long story short, he took it home, texted me saying it doesn't work, and I tried to walk him through it thru text. I even had the poor kid dip a paper towel in the gas tank and place it in front of the intake. After pondering what the problem can be, my dad picked it up and it turns out the only problem was the spark plug boot which slipped off more and more until it didn't start.

>.<

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
i was diverting the (soon to be)argument to toystorys thread on flywheel armagenden thus solving the crisis all together.

robbie

Reaction score
I know what you're sayin. Haha. Sometimes, you may think the problem is more serious than you anticipated. Then you find out you left the fuel valve closed. Actually, 2 weeks ago, I fixed a mower for someone who called me off CL and it ran fine at first, but then it became questionable with the amount of force it took to start. So I showed him how to ensure it's choked etc. Long story short, he took it home, texted me saying it doesn't work, and I tried to walk him through it thru text. I even had the poor kid dip a paper towel in the gas tank and place it in front of the intake. After pondering what the problem can be, my dad picked it up and it turns out the only problem was the spark plug boot which slipped off more and more until it didn't start.

>.<

That's ridiculous. I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.