Do Torque Converters Limit Max RPM?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Torque on a 4 stroke is lower end where as 2 stroke makes the torque in the upper end of the power curve. Basically from what I gathered from my own thread when I had asked it is pretty much a 4 stroke engine will put more stress on the belt than a 2 stroke will. I'm simplifying it at the moment. Take a read of it. But here's a picture from a comet 780 manual.

Attachments

• 1584539367.jpeg
    1584539367.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 8

Solomonster212

High Compression Member
Reaction score
Did you gain 4 mph with the clutch or lose 4 mph with the clutch?

The clutch allowed me to go 4 mph faster than the torque converter.

But one must understand the tradeoffs between each before deciding. Clutches have higher top speed but torque converters have better acceleration.

Walter Keller

Reaction score
I bought a Juggernaut after seeing and reading a lot of reviews - I replaced a 30 series ChiCom TC driver that was working fine. I had already replaced the driven pulleys spring with a yellow Comet spring. My engine is a 196cc Lifan (greyhound brand) rear sprocket is stock Baja size (48 tooth ?) with the following mods - I dont know how much HP its making
No governor
18 lbs springs (should I be using 24lb springs with this cam ?)
Hot 265 cam
PVL flywheel
Billet Rod
Stock size carb rejetted and better emulsion tube
K&N style air filter and adapter
Racing spark plug
Exhaust header

Right away you could feel the difference with the Juggernaut driver (using a used TC belt) It pulls a lot harder earlier - its using the engines power sooner. I need to install a new belt to compare belt wear to the old driver.

KartFab

Reaction score
Would it have been better to run a 780 then? They're rated for 30+ horsepower. That's why I plan on running one.

the 780's shred belts on v-twin high output engines.

the 40 series wont pull the cogs off of the belts they have.

This is 2nd hand info from someone who has ran the 780s a bit. the 780 is a bit too expensive for me actually. I plan on running a 40 series on an 18 and a 20 hp v-twin stock.

I also think that with gearing the 780s wrong, you just can hurt the belt rather than slipping. You need to gear correctly, and it wont stress the belt out.

Again, i have no 1st hand experience with the 780 but have talked to someone who has ran a bunch and he stopped running them and switched back to the 40 series because the belts on teh 780's would just not hold up.

You might get a better idea of the 780s' perfomance by trying out a mini-buggy forum. They are super popular on mini buggies.

Solomonster212

High Compression Member
Reaction score
22lb or 24lb valve spring should be used with the HOT265 cam in order to achieve a higher valve float.

I personally am running the 18lb valve springs with a HOT265 cam with tons of low end torque. But it does top out way too early. You can upgrade to the recommended valve spring size for a small sacrifice of low end power in order to raise top speed.