DIY fuel tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Could I use this to make a fuel tank? Any advice or tips before I get started?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you meant if 304/304L is feasible, yes it is.
it'll withstand both diesel and gasoline well.
both are low carbon steel (0.08%, L even lower 0.03% max)
and I quote:
These steels exhibit excellent resistance
to a wide range of atmospheric, chemical,
textile, petroleum and food industry
exposures.

'sid

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Cap one end, fill with a gallon of water, mark the level. Cut n cap at that line. Weld a 1&1/2" fuel bung on top and a 1/4" npt nipple in the bottom. Just drill and tap that one.....

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
I assume you meant if 304/304L is feasible, yes it is.
it'll withstand both diesel and gasoline well.
both are low carbon steel (0.08%, L even lower 0.03% max)
and I quote:

'sid

Yep, exactly what I meant. Thanks man. I just couldn't see myself spending $100+ on an aluminum tank... especially when this material is free.

Cap one end, fill with a gallon of water, mark the level. Cut n cap at that line. Weld a 1&1/2" fuel bung on top and a 1/4" npt nipple in the bottom. Just drill and tap that one.....
Thanks for the tips, Jim. I think I've got the fab work worked out... I was wondering more about the material itself. We use this for compressed air lines where I work, and I didn't want the leftover bits going into the scrap bin.

That's a good idea to fill it with the amount of fluid that I want the tank to have the capacity of. Thanks.

rmm727

Reaction score
I saw a thread somewhere where a guy made a tank out of 2 diesel fuel filters. Seemed pretty cool. Another low buck alternative.

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Not sure if they followed through but, IIRC, someone attempted to make a tank using a heineken mini keg... just saying...

Went to a CL sale where the guy had an actual T-bucket. He uses a keg as a fuel tank... kinda big for a kart though IMO... heres the vid... sorry so dark.

KartFab

Reaction score
Im not 100% certain, but that looks a lot like stainless steel pipe to me....

304 is code for stainless (at least that's what i have welded before, 304 and 308 stainless) which is probably the most common stainless steel used. I would use 308L filler rod when TIG welding to it and back purge so the weld wont "sugar" on the inside.... if that is what you had in mind....

Also, if you are going to do any abrasive cutting on stainless, its a really good idea to wear a decent respirator because it produces hexavalent chromium that is a known/potent lung carcinogen.

rocketkart

Reaction score
when you get the tank built I would use cola/soft drinks to check for leaks, just shake it up in the tank and see if you'r good.

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Im not 100% certain, but that looks a lot like stainless steel pipe to me....

304 is code for stainless (at least that's what i have welded before, 304 and 308 stainless) which is probably the most common stainless steel used. I would use 308L filler rod when TIG welding to it and back purge so the weld wont "sugar" on the inside.... if that is what you had in mind....

Also, if you are going to do any abrasive cutting on stainless, its a really good idea to wear a decent respirator because it produces hexavalent chromium that is a known/potent lung carcinogen.

Ahh, crap. I don't know why I didn't just Google it to begin with.

You're right, that's stainless. I only have a MIG at home, setup with 75/25 argon/co2. We have a TIG at work, but I'm not really good at it yet... I barely get to use it.

Oh well. I'll find something else to make a tank out of. I have some of this...

....so whatever I end up using will be sealed up nicely.

A buddy of mine said he may have a hunk of 3" or 4" pipe (not stainless). We'll see.

Thanks for the heads up. I would've welded that **** up without even thinking about it. I don't have the means to back purge, I only have one tank... for the shielding gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.