• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Diesel Engines Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good book based on Diesel engines for cars. Im planning to buy one to learn more about them as I have only done petrol engines. Possibly if I can get a Ford 1.8 Sierra engine for cheap, and stick to fords but may go with a Vauxhall/Opel.

Anyway I have a Marine issue book which is totally different with the low RPM engines hitting about 55 RPM, and they are designed in a different way.

So anyone know of a good book?

Kieran

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good book based on Diesel engines for cars. Im planning to buy one to learn more about them as I have only done petrol engines. Possibly if I can get a Ford 1.8 Sierra engine for cheap, and stick to fords but may go with a Vauxhall/Opel.

Anyway I have a Marine issue book which is totally different with the low RPM engines hitting about 55 RPM, and they are designed in a different way.

So anyone know of a good book?

Kieran

I always check out second hand book stores, there's usually some really good stuff there. I've got a a few 1960s and '70s diesel books that are really good, they go really deep into stuff and there's all the formulas and stuff. Of course technology has moved on since then but if your going to get an older one with a "normal" injection pump then just about everything is the same.

Thanks

Hayden

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a diesel opel, or vectra, prone to overheating and they weigh 1250kg!??!

They are really not too complicated compared to a petrol, volkswagen make the best diesels ;)

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
@Sideways, not many Mechanical themed books sold in any shops around here, I got a great book on the "car" goes into great detail and history on every part of the car, dated around 1980.

@Cam, without doubt VW make the best diesels but they would be hard enough to pick up cheap. I know Opel have had problems with their design of water pump, very small cooling fan and I believe that is the reason for so many over heats.

I can find books on Trains and boats easily but its not really what im looking for.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
I know what ya mean, havn't had any experiance with the ford varients, but im sure they would be decent.

We had an opel, replaced all the water hoses, it kept overheating on sunny days, eventually it cracked the head, wasn't flash on power either.

I am borrowing a vw mk 2 1.6 diesel golf, its been a brilliant car despite the fact that the engine is really knackered, goes well and they will go for a long time if treated right, yeah they are a bit more pricey, but a mk 1 or a mk 2 couldnt be that bad in europe?

Good luck with the book, surely there will be something.

robbie

Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument, VW makes great diesels, but I don't know if you could call them the best without considering Mercedes Benz. We had a few of those over the years when I was a kid. Great engines. Even our Peugeot turbo was a really good engine, although I thought the Mercedes engines were better. My sister had a diesel VW rabbit, which I would rate as "pretty good".

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
You do pay a lot more for a merc or a peugeot though, but yes probabley better.

We have a Mitsubishi with a merc 1.6 turbo diesel in it, serious power and very fuel efficent, 07 I think.

Yea I will try locally to see if any come up.

Thanks

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
I have 'Troubleshooting and Repairing Diesel Engines' 4th edition by Paul Dempsey. That is one hell of a good book, goes into great detail, on pretty much every topic. I would defiantly recommend it. It was $51.31 Singapore dollars, which isn't to bad really.

Also have 'Automotive Mechanics', Edition 8, Volume 1&2, by Ed May and Les Simpson. Another good set, but covers anything you could immagine.

Jeremy.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Is that a reasonable price?

Its been good for my learning (Im doing heavy diesel apprenticeship), but you say you want one specific to cars?

Jeremy.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Is that a reasonable price?

Its been good for my learning (Im doing heavy diesel apprenticeship), but you say you want one specific to cars?

Jeremy.

Not really in my opinion but it was just a quick search. Yea I would prefer it to be associated to car diesel engines.

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.