Did I buy a Rupp??

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Hello friends. I just picked this up from local classifieds. And I’m having trouble really identifying it. I think the wheels are Rupp Turbines, and the back half of the frame where the holes are by the bearing flanges look Rupp, but other parts have me guess otherwise. The engines turns over, and it just needs a bearing/flange for the right rear, but otherwise everything is there. And yes, I have power washed the debris off of it, since these pics were taken LOL.F5E9F553-D656-46B9-A73E-7B3689016CBF.jpegA0744BA8-8A7D-4E1E-9A83-5E88AFF570AE.jpegBD0E2625-7554-41DD-B80D-BFB9C2E47984.jpeg87207F00-EDF9-40D1-B3F6-DCC05AC959A9.jpeg

USAMAC

Reaction score
Yea, I have no idea what this.. I am excited to see what you do with it, though. Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying? I would love to find a cart in about this condition, most people I come across so far are selling stripped karts, in terrible condition for a premium price!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Kool kart! :2guns:
I'ma lovin' that rollbar/seatback :bannana:

Hmmm
...them front spindle brackets kinda look like they have a "forward lean" to 'em

The Castor on most karts (that I've seen) is set a few degrees toward the rear
...maybe a unique characteristic like that, can help someone identify 'er for you :thumbsup:
...&/or that kool "rollbar" :sifone:

cheap_thrills

Reaction score
Yea, I have no idea what this.. I am excited to see what you do with it, though. Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying? I would love to find a cart in about this condition, most people I come across so far are selling stripped karts, in terrible condition for a premium price!
I gave $150 for it. And really I’m just going to fix any mechanical part on it, get the engine running, and slap some new tires on it. I like the character it has, as is.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Air in that right rear tire, a bearing for the left rear, together that'll help, but..................
That axle sprocket will still be really close to scraping the ground. You could consider bending a piece of flat bar around it that would just attach with bolts to the frame, for easy removal to access chain.
And maybe a hi-speed reverse gear since F.A. is right, that's big forward caster on that thing, will help keep the wheel straight at high speed in reverse.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Be careful modifying that as I do believe that may be a Rupp. Most definitely has the Rupp Turbine wheels. The gokart version of the Pontiac 8 lug wheels. Someone more knowledgeable will probably chime in soon. By the way I have seen those wheels sell for $400.00 each! $1,600.00 for the set! Score!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The gokart version of the Pontiac 8 lug wheels.

Rupp Pontiac Gokarts dealership, I can see it ! If Denny's talking about the now quite dated early Pontiac TransAm "turbine" wheels, it certainly does look like a small version of them.
The "Jet Age" was still kinda new and attractive, and they still were putting rocket fins and wing things on cars, and the "turbine" wheels was a nod to that Jet thing, made the car go faster (in people's imaginations).
Steve Magnante showed those on one of his episodes, and mushed the fins around with his finger, looked like metal but they were actually rubber. Are those fins on the kart metal or something else? I'm guessing plastic...........and cool looking.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Nope! The 8 lug wheels were never on the Trans Am. 1960-64 Bonneville, Grand Prix and Catalina had the first design. 1965-67 Bonneville and Grand Prix had the second design. The “turbine” part of the wheel was the actual aluminum brake drum that was visible. The rim bolted to it with 8 chrome lug nuts around the outside of the drum.
I know this because my 1965 Grand Prix has them.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Nope! The 8 lug wheels were never on the Trans Am. 1960-64 Bonneville, Grand Prix and Catalina had the first design. 1965-67 Bonneville and Grand Prix had the second design. The “turbine” part of the wheel was the actual aluminum brake drum that was visible. The rim bolted to it with 8 chrome lug nuts around the outside of the drum.
I know this because my 1965 Grand Prix has them.
Hey Denny,
Um...you know the "deal"...pics
...or it didn't happen :thumbsup:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not as smart as my smart phone. I don’t know how. But I do have 1965 NN maroon with parchment interior 45,000 mi Grand Prix. A 1966, 19,000 mi Cadillac Calais Gold on gold no options at all. And a 1967 Chevrolet SS Impala convertible, marina blue poly, med. blue metallic bucket seat and console interior, 275 hp 327, t400 transmission and 4:10 posi 12 bolt rear end. Oh yea it’s only got 17,000 mi. And finally a beat out 1975 Corvette with a 65 300 hp 327 and super t10 4 speed.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
1965 was right in the heart of the Jet Age influence on the auto industry, very cool stuff. Like I said, the TransAm wheels were a "nod" to the Jet Age design of cars. Denny, that's an awesome 1960's collection, not just the age, it's the low miles that impress me.
You drive that Vette? When I got rid of my 1980 I swore there'd never be another one in my garage. Only ran 127mph, had 3 cars faster than that. Thing got up and floated off a highway at 65mph after some rain, came 2' from a head-on after plowing through the median, never having another one.

USAMAC

Reaction score
Be careful modifying that as I do believe that may be a Rupp. Most definitely has the Rupp Turbine wheels. The gokart version of the Pontiac 8 lug wheels. Someone more knowledgeable will probably chime in soon. By the way I have seen those wheels sell for $400.00 each! $1,600.00 for the set! Score!
Wait, wait.. What? I got some researching to do.. why was this kart so special?

spyke427

Reaction score
Im not an expert but the frame, seat gussets and rear axle mounting brackets look exactly like rupp dart parts. The front axle looks like it has been replaced and maybe the spindles have been flipped over. What a great find. The Steering hoop looks like the early 60s wide hoop as well as the early short and long steering arms. I would guess that kart to be a pre 1964 rupp A-bone.