Death Trap 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmer Mike

Reaction score
Well thats what the kid called it from day 1.

This is another kart that was given to us by a family friend. It was built for him when he was a kid. Looking close at it the whole thing was crudely brazed together. The trans is a studebaker 3 spd and the steering column has some crazy gear reduction that requires a 3 wheel turns from lock to lock. The engine isn't original but is an onan 18hp. I've gps'd it at 49 mph in second gear but can't keep it in a straight line. This one will be a winter project.

Funny.. Didn't notice but that last picture shows it uses a drag link type setup.

There ya go Pat.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
49 MPH? In THAT? AS IS? Man, you're a braver fella than I!!!
While it is very unique, I'd want to seriously revamp that thing before shooting for the stars!

Farmer Mike

Reaction score
Very true. It needs to be about 4" higher. It picks gravel up with the front end so safety glasses are a requirement. Its not a live axle but does use belts and a cross shaft for dual wheel drive, problem is that hp overcomes belt tension and smokes the belts. So in straight line runs the left wheel pushes the cart to the right and you can't keep it straight. I tried pavement but was afraid to leave first gear. The kid nailed it...its a death trap.

karl

Reaction score
If you decide to get rid of the transmission ill take it. I need it for a project involving a 10hp Wisconsin, 3/4 ton truck axle, and a log splitter.

redsox985

Reaction score
Oh dear Jesus. I can't believe you did that speed on that little adventure. It's a cool cart, but I wouldn't place my trust in it in its current condition.

Farmer Mike

Reaction score
4.9 mph or 49 mph???????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!!!

49mph.. Was gonna video it today if I could get it running.

I was gonna try and make this thing run today but the motor would not turn over by hand.. Obviously it got some water in the left cylinder and will not go a full rotation. So it has turned back into a winter job and I will be tearing that side down to see if I can clean up the cylinder.

BM..
This is a very crude clutch. Basically its 2 pulleys with a loose belt. It has a foot operated spring loaded tensioner that tightens when you release the clutch pedal. If you hammer it to hard out of the hole it will snap the belt.

I got this thing "as is" and only put a battery and about 6 drive belts and a couple of chains. The chains wear out fast.

I pulled the motor out so you can see the drive train of this thing better.

Farmer Mike

Reaction score
I thought about that but then also don't want to take the chance of breaking a ring. My thoughts on a quick fix was to put the piston at the bottom and use a ball hone with the motor upside down.

redsox985

Reaction score
If that set up is eating up chains, they're probably out of alignment. It is quite crude, but if it's hitting 49, something is working right!

Status
Not open for further replies.