Dazon project and I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
I just started into go karts and I really need some help here. I have a total of 3 now, I thing two will be up and running by the end of next week. The Dazon is where I really need help.

It came with a detached snow mobile engine. I am going to sell that and I'm looking at getting another snowmobile engine that has electric start. I have already purchased the following for the build:

1" Pillow Blocks
30 series 1" bore driver
oil
bacon

Now, I need to know where I would get a 7/8" jackshaft for this, but it seems impossible to find it. I also need to know what size chain would work on this and where I would get a sprocket for it. Once I get all the parts I need, I will start building the frame for the engine and incorporating it onto the Dazon to make it super fast. So if I could get some ideas and some input on getting the jackshaft, chain and sprocket, it would help so much. For trade, I am an LED light dealer, I can set you up with some awesome LED lights for your kart!

Thank you so very much for any and all help!
 

Attachments

  • 2013-09-19 00.13.46.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.13.46.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2013-09-19 00.13.51.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.13.51.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2013-09-19 00.14.41.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.14.41.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 2013-09-19 00.14.48.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.14.48.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2013-09-19 00.15.03.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.15.03.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2013-09-19 00.15.10.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.15.10.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2013-09-19 00.15.16.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.15.16.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 3

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Hello and welcome.

Bacon on a kart eh.... cool. Gives you some incentive to giver when the bears are tailing ya.

A jack shaft can be made out of some keyed shaft to length you need, pillow blocks and the sprockets. pretty easy.

With the 1in pillow block whats them for? a new axle?
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
You don't want to add a snow mobile engine (30-40HP) to a series 30 driver (max 8HP) do you?

'sid

That is why I am here, and by the sound of that, I guess I don't?

Okay, I can get 7/8" key shafts very easy, do I go to a machine shop to be able to put screw holes in the ends to hold on my parts?
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
Hello and welcome.

Bacon on a kart eh.... cool. Gives you some incentive to giver when the bears are tailing ya.

A jack shaft can be made out of some keyed shaft to length you need, pillow blocks and the sprockets. pretty easy.

With the 1in pillow block whats them for? a new axle?

Using the pillow block for the jackshaft, or so I think. Again, that is why I am here, lol. My plans are to have the driver on the engine running a belt to the driven mounted on the 7/8" jackshaft which goes through my pillow blocks to a sprocket, which would have a chain to the sprocket in my pictures. I would use 1" pillow blocks for my 7/8" jack shaft, right? From the pictures, can you tell what chain I would need? It, of course, is double, so I would also need help getting the sprocket.

I have learned a lot in the two weeks I got into go karts, just need some more help so I can get this baby pulling the front wheels off the ground! ;-)

Bacon anyone?
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
you should get the "new" engine with it's cvt, that's the best chance of having a working transmission in the end that doesn't try to kill you as soon as you ride ;)

Comet also has triple figure Torque converters (103 Series, 102C series etc) that are technically close to the ones you normally find on a snowmobil anyways, those are rated up to 120HP.
but you wont find them on ebay very often and they're really expensive.
http://www.hoffcocomet.com/EpiphanyWeb/flexpage.aspx?ID=75

So still, see if you can find the original CVT system with the engine and buy as a set.

the cvts look like this:
6339.jpg

'sid
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
What I would really like to is be able to put a gearbox in so that I have reverse. This is a big machine to be pushing backwards! It already comes with the shifter mounted inside.
 

Attachments

  • 2013-09-19 00.15.26.jpg
    2013-09-19 00.15.26.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 5

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
you should get the "new" engine with it's cvt, that's the best chance of having a working transmission in the end that doesn't try to kill you as soon as you ride ;)

Won't be a 'new' one, just new to me. I have a place close that is a snowmobile junk yard, they have a lot of them there. There are snowmobile trails up here 30 miles long and longer, really nice. I will email the guy right now and ask about everything being included. So my plans seem right?
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Just sayin itsid, I think you underestimated the hp of snowmobile engines. 40hp is pretty much the minimum.


Ikarskarn, since your in michigan I'd just buy the whole sled and part out what you don't need so you have the whole driveline. Its better to use the same primary and secondary that came with the engine because its already set up for it. Once you start to mix and match clutches then everything goes out the window.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
The shaft size and the pillow blocks need to be the same size. 1"shaft/1" bore pillowblocks.

The post you provided, has part of the CVT mechanism. Need the driven part. (Im assuming that part is on the sled, not included)

As far as gear box. It can be expensive. and potentially hard to mount.
The sled had a reverse, see if you can get the whole driveline from the sled. you will need to fit all that to the buggy, but if you are in this far..
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
I really appreciate the help, and it is helping. It is making me totally replan what I am doing. Getting the whole sled is practical and really easy up here, so that is my new plan.

As far as the pillow blocks, I was under the understanding that the jackshaft has to be a little smaller then the pillow block, but that is why I am in the learning phase, thus, the title under my name. ;-)

As far as the engine sizes, again, I am such a newbie even on that. I have been tinkering and learning a lot. I just rewired one go kart to have electric start, all the wires were fried and tore up. Putting LED lights on it as well, haha. I will add a picture of that, I think it looks good. I have repainted the engine parts I could and I hope I can put them back on the engine today. Now, I have learned that a 13 HP is about 420 cc. But exenos is pretty much telling me that the snowmobile engine I have that is 440cc and a minimum of 40 HP, so after I cleaned the half chewed bacon from my computer monitor, I'm trying to figure this out and I know for a fact that is what I want on this buggy. I would think that the cc would be per cylinder, but that don't even add up as my 13 hp is rated 420 cc and my 6.5 hp is about 213cc. Although I don't know about all this yet, I do know how to add. ;-)

Anyway, time to put away the little I have and look at buying a whole sled. Now may be a bad time to buy one because it is getting cold out, people are starting to look. But I am in no real hurry to get this done, still have 2 go karts the my kids love. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on, like the braking system. I think I may just work on that next then the engine in the spring when people want to get rid of their wrecked sleds. ;-)

In the meantime, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zB5ZW5nx8
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
Oh yeah, anything on the chain and sprocket that I will need to buy? I have no clue what to look for or even find on Ebay. How do I tell chain size and such? Thank you so much!
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Ya the CC to HP is a big confuser here for many people. AFAIK it basically comes down to how the motor is(for ex. like 2-4 stroke, compression, ignition type, intake and exhaust, computer or no computer control, FI or Carb ect)
A good example of this is, my (new to me) '87 5th ave has about 150hp V8/5.2l Carb. My previous car has, a Honda accord (thereabouts)130hp, 2.2l, I4, FI. so the HP is about the same, but the torque value is defiantly different. IT confuses me , but I dont really care.

There was a few threads lately(I cant find them off hand, but Im sure Doc will chime in and post them) That explains the whole delema.

As for the HP in the sled. I wouldnt worry about it. I think the main thing to think on is not on how much power it has, but how well you can stop.

If the sleds are available, go for it.
 

Ikarskarn

Newbie
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Muskegon, MI
This is the engine that came with the Dazon Dune Buggy. I would just spend so much time trying to figure it all out. It does not have power output either I don't think, I know it don't have a starter. I have no clue what it came off of, so buying one where I know it's history would be my best bet, I think. ;-)

I still need to find out about what chain and sprocket I would look for. :-D
 

Attachments

  • 2013-09-22 13.31.53.jpg
    2013-09-22 13.31.53.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2013-09-22 13.31.58.jpg
    2013-09-22 13.31.58.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2013-09-22 13.32.06.jpg
    2013-09-22 13.32.06.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2013-09-22 13.32.12.jpg
    2013-09-22 13.32.12.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top