d.i.y ways of improving performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk95ht

Reaction score
i have a 49cc engine (altho its not working) i would like to figure out ways to improve performance as my brother will be fixing it in 2 weeks time and hopefully it will run.
if he does get it running i want to be able to put it on a go kart and as i know 49cc is hardly powerful enough, but thats why im hoping there is some way of improving performance.......
i have access to grinders,welder,few hand tools,drills,also plenty of metal,also i can get some c02 canisters (which r used for "nitrous" systems which can be bought on ebay)
also a car pod filter (if that would work on a pocket rocket)
i saw a thread about a guy that turboed an engine but all i can say to that is......I WISH haha
please comment with anythin you can think of, even if you think its stupid or doesnt do anything, its a small engine so little tweaks may work
thanks josh
by the way its a 2 stroke chinese thing

Last edited:

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
i have a 49cc engine (altho its not working) i would like to figure out ways to improve performance as my brother will be fixing it in 2 weeks time and hopefully it will run.
if he does get it running i want to be able to put it on a go kart and as i know 49cc is hardly powerful enough, but thats why im hoping there is some way of improving performance.......
i have access to grinders,welder,few hand tools,drills,also plenty of metal,also i can get some c02 canisters (which r used for "nitrous" systems which can be bought on ebay)
also a car pod filter (if that would work on a pocket rocket)
i saw a thread about a guy that turboed an engine but all i can say to that is......I WISH haha

2 or 4 stroke?

jk95ht

Reaction score
i just stripped my 49cc pocket rocket and pullin the exhaust apart i noticed it has a wierd set up, and im no expert but i think its not a very good one as it has plenty of holes......
can i just tack up these holes, cut the muffler? out and weld it on and try having the tip as large as possible?

SmallEngineDave

Reaction score
nope, 2 strokes are very particular to the exaust setup
because theres no valves, back pressure is crucial. So the pipe needs to be a certain size, the expansion chamber needs to be a certain size, the pipe should be no bigger or smaller than what it has.

Check out www.pocketbikeplanet.com Im on it and it was very helpful

sexyvicta

Reaction score
i notice big power gains on small twostrokes when i take em apart and clean out the exzaust port/top of head/top of piston/ring groove etc. When **** is blocked up they dont scavange properly and choke on their own exhaust.

You could get a bigger carb and run it on Nitro.

Skim the head a little to up compression(if it has a detachable head)

Anything else can get quite scientific. I have a book about twostroke tuning and yeh theres abit of maths involved if you want to chase big power. Too technical for me

sexyvicta

Reaction score
back pressure is crucial.

sort of/not realy. No exhaust is better than a restrictive exhaust on a twostroke. Make a megaphone pipe(easier than full expansion chamber), it will take care of scavanging your exhaust gases but wont give you the boost an expansion chamber will.

You could experiment with intake length (before and after carb but mostly after) you can get a bit of boost from ram air effect plus move the power curve around the rpm range.

Status
Not open for further replies.