CV axles connected to center shaft for chain drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
Ok I can buy this fine buggy/kart with a Honda xr500 engine for $300

But this have a cv axle set up that used a differential.

Has anyone made an intermediate shaft that is solid mounted to a frame and had a sprocket on it? The only thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how to connect the cv axle to the "drive shaft" ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415559686.777535.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415559707.178702.jpg

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
I believe that machine is a roketa 250cc. I hear they are a bit under powered. But if you have the stock CN 250cc engine i would just use that and do some mods.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
The cv ends are splined, right? You need 2 female ends that those go into. Your going to use that to make the center section, where the sprocket goes. Post a pic of the cv ends and measure /count the splines....

AceEngineer

Reaction score
There are cart size open diffs available from Comet with stub axles that may work for you if you still want a diff. Check them out. You could use one for the short axle between the CV joints. Here's a pic of what I am talking about:

I've got one in the rear of my yard cart and it has no trouble handling the 17hp from the Kawasaki 175 I stuck in it.

AceEngineer

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
There are cart size open diffs available from Comet with stub axles that may work for you if you still want a diff. Check them out. You could use one for the short axle between the CV joints. Here's a pic of what I am talking about:

I've got one in the rear of my yard cart and it has no trouble handling the 17hp from the Kawasaki 175 I stuck in it.

AceEngineer
I could not find that unit... Got a link? All I see is components for it, but not the whole thing.....

AceEngineer

Reaction score
Your right, I can't find the complete unit either. I bought mine a few years ago. I wonder if Comet stopped making them. I did find more than a couple of posts where they wanted to buy a SCD-1 differential. This leads me to believe they are out of production. I would call Comet and ask just in case. Also, you can ask in some forums and watch eBay for a used one.
Northern Tool also carries similar unit, but it is not quite as stout and you would have to shorten the axles.
See: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...&type=search&gclid=CJTIgff97sECFc9zMgodnSUA2w

Timelord

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
And there engine isn't there. But I have a Honda xr500 engine that will go. That's why I want to have a center shaft mounted on two pillow bearing a with a sprocket in the middle and the cv connect to the shaft.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
You want something like in the pic below..... Just need to see the ends of the cv's to be able to help you.....

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.