Custom exhaust help!!

WillMatrix

Reaction score
I have a question on exhaust building. I don’t have a pipe bender but I have a welder and all different types of saws. Is there a way I can fabricate a decent 1 inch exhaust?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yes, there is! If you look around you can buy prebent pieces of tubingjust cut to fit and weld. Or you can just make a bunch of pie shaped cuts and weld all the pieces together and grind flush.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
Yes, there is! If you look around you can buy prebent pieces of tubingjust cut to fit and weld. Or you can just make a bunch of pie shaped cuts and weld all the pieces together and grind flush.
I will definitely try the pie cut technique. But where would I look to buy pre-bent material?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The "U-weld kit" is a good price if you can use most of the pieces, and if you're happy with 1" O.D. pipe, as opposed to 1" I.D. pipe.
I bought 1" EMT 90-degree bends for about $6 each at Homey Depot, they're at least 1" I.D., slide right over 1" axles, better exhaust flow for a 212 engine than 1" I.D. Used them whole and also cut into smaller sections to get the shapes needed. Joined with cut sections of 1" EMT pipe makes all kinds of possibilities.

WillMatrix

Reaction score
The "U-weld kit" is a good price if you can use most of the pieces, and if you're happy with 1" O.D. pipe, as opposed to 1" I.D. pipe.
I bought 1" EMT 90-degree bends for about $6 each at Homey Depot, they're at least 1" I.D., slide right over 1" axles, better exhaust flow for a 212 engine than 1" I.D. Used them whole and also cut into smaller sections to get the shapes needed. Joined with cut sections of 1" EMT pipe makes all kinds of possibilities.
Can I just use emt to make things simpler for me? But come to find out I’m having a vacuum leak on the carb side

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yes but you have to grind off the zinc coating first. If you don’t you could end up very sick or very dead in the morning.

redflash

Reaction score
vinegar kills the galvanise. when I weld galvanised I soak the section in vinegar for a while.......then weld !

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I've had years of installing and welding inside of huge galvanized ductwork. You can't do all that prep work with vinegar or whatever in 5' square duct from a dust collector that totals out linear at like 500' of ducts.
Ventilation is the key safety factor, and what OSHA inspectors are checking for on your jobsite. You don't breathe the fumes because they're constantly drafted away from your face with proper forced air ventilation. A few whiffs won't hurt you, I know, like I know how a couple of whiffs of phosgene gas can be fatal, my one lungs-full nearly did me dead.
If you did get galvanize poisoning someday, just chug lots of whole milk that night. I've seen guys get sick, seen milk cure it.