Cranking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I recently replaced the engine in my Kart. It's been sitting in my garage for the past year. I engine that I put in has a reverse kit installed. When I tried to crank it, it sounds like the battery is dead. I put jumper cables on it with my boat battery that I know should crank it no problems. Sounds better but still not enough to actually crank it. Still sounds like the battery is weak. On the original engine there was no reverse so I didnt hook up the electrical lead coming on the shifter plate. Is this some how causing the problem? If so where do I hook that into the system?

Thanks
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight, paying special attention to grounding.

If this new engine is significantly bigger than the old one, the wire gauge to the starter motor may not be sufficiently large. If the "new" engine is not actually new, maybe the starter is bad.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight, paying special attention to grounding.

If this new engine is significantly bigger than the old one, the wire gauge to the starter motor may not be sufficiently large. If the "new" engine is not actually new, maybe the starter is bad.

...& the list goes on...

Are the battery wires getting hot while cranking?
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
cranking

I will check the wires tonight. The engine I thought was a Howhitt 150cc. However, it is not as best I can tell. Looks the same but is a little smaller length but wider width wise. Will post some pics tonight as well. Did check the connections and all seem to be tight. The starter was new and came with the engine. I also replaced the voltage regulator and the other black box, I assume is a solonid of some kind.

Thanks
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Is it bolted down to the frame, firmly? In the absence of a ground (earth) cable, the engine mounts serve the purpose. If that ground connection is electrically "crappy" (highly technical term), you will lose cranking current.
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
:wai: What has been sitting for a year engine or kart? If engine it maybe half azzed seized. Pull the plug and then try to start it.
 

jamyers

Well-known member
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
47
Location
Buffalo Gap, TX
We / you REALLY need to know what we're dealing with here. Please post some pics of the engine so we can I'd it, then well know what is what. Replacing black boxes at random only lightens your wallet...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Cranking Issues

Thanks for all the help. Attached are some pics of the engine and the black box. Been working late so not able to troubleshoot yet. If it weren't for work I could actually get some things done.
 

Attachments

  • Black Box.jpg
    Black Box.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Eng 1.jpg
    Eng 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Eng.jpg
    Eng.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Eng2.jpg
    Eng2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Cranking Issues

Thanks for all the help. Attached are some pics of the engine and the black box. Been working late so not able to troubleshoot yet. If it weren't for work I could actually get some things done.
 

jamyers

Well-known member
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
47
Location
Buffalo Gap, TX
I'll have to get back later, but that SURE looks like a GY6 engine. Didn't know they came with an internal reverse gear, though...
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
The original eng was a GY6 Howhit. That is what I thought I was buying when I got this one. However, like I said it's a little shorter overall and a tad bit wider.

Tommow I will check the ground and the connections again. I have been charging the battery so it shouldn't be a problem.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
I am pretty sure that GY6 motors are made in short case and long case versions for different applications. You may have bought the short case to replace the long case. As long as it mounts up then there is no problem!

As suggested above, it may not be electrical at all, but a partially siezed motor. It may be a stupid question- but is there oil in the crankcase?
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Cranking

Sorry for disappearing on everyone. The new job had me out of town then had car after car in the garage. Worked on it yesterday and it was a ground. Ran a wire from the frame to the engine and it cranked right over. Can't thank everyone enough. Couple more little details and its back out running. Just in time for the warm weather.
 

Beardod

New member
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Cranked it up and run good. Ready for some warm weather so I can get it out of the garage and take it for a spin? Got another question. Hate to be a noob but this engine has a reverse kit on it. Does it have a separate oil supply then the engine?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top