• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Court Upholds Arrest of First US Citizen Based on Drone Surveillance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead

Reaction score
http://news.antiwar.com/2012/08/03/...first-us-citizen-based-on-drone-surveillance/

A judge at a district court in North Dakota has issued the first ruling on domestic drone use, saying that the arrest of a man during which surveillance drones were used was not “improper” and that it has “no bearing” on charges brought against the man.

The arrest was the result of a dispute over laws in North Dakota surrounding wandering livestock, and police attacked the man, Rodney Brossart, on his property after he refused to return six cows which had wandered onto his property.

Brossart’s lawyer sought the charges of “criminal mischief” thrown out because of the warrantless use of drones, as well as a number of other “constitutional violations” including tasering him.

The relatively minor charges against Brossart may well serve as the first legal precedent for police use of surveillance drones against civilians on American soil. The prosecution had argued that the “mischief” was committed before the drones were deployed, and that therefore they weren’t relevant to the charges.

bighead

Reaction score
Big brother just keeps getting bigger & bigger; someone has to keep "him" in check

The question I have is what is a drone looking at cattle for? Also how is the drone tied to the local police? Do States or even counties have drones? Or are drones Military only?

fowler

Reaction score
U can get small drones
Not one of these light aircraft sized multi million $ things that fly around the planet

They are like 3/4 metre across
Like one of those 4 blade hover pad toys u can control with an I phone

There was an artical in a farm paper called the elders weekly
They spoke of these drones they are using up in the station country, stations are large multi million acre stock property's in the outback
They use the drones to check water points and stock quality
They use to use helicopters or small aircraft, this is clearly very expensive and it is far easier to control a small helicopter from a laptop from home

Who knows why the police force would have one?
Maybe it is also to replace a helicopter
Who knows why it was looking at cows
Maybe they got a complaint and decided to check it out

I gotta agree with the court
I wouldn't want someone spying on me with out permission
Depending on the situation I also gotta agree with the farmer
I know what it's like when a neighbours animals gets in
It causes massive contamination issues with lice ect
If it happens enough u get sick of it
It got to a stage on our farm where if we saw a neighbours sheep we shot it on the spot because they were so sick
Also U wouldn't want to waist your time mustering others animals if they don't come get it it's there issue

If this was a first time issue and the farmer wouldn't let the neighbour onto the farm to get the cows then the farmer is in the wrong

bighead

Reaction score
Yah I missed the part in the artical that said domestic drone use

I was thinking this was military drones.

Obama was in town and they said the drones were here as well. I keep looking for one but no luck. If I could even see one that is. But it was fun.

fowler

Reaction score
Lol we spent 7 million dollars in equpment and time
We possibly cancelled top secret world operations

But it's ok we found 6 cows
On the other side of the fence

the road

Reaction score
i'm sure you guys feel you have the right to discuss what ever you like here. i personally wouldnt post anything on a forum that hosts this sort of thread. no worries guys, carry on, i will not be bothering about this again

Pat S

fowler

Reaction score
??????
We ain't going to judge anyone by opinion

Bighead just took an artical off a public news site and reported it to a wide audience to get opinions

It's good to debate
I'm sure your teachers do/ did promote it

I'm also sure I are just trying to stir:stir:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
i'm sure you guys feel you have the right to discuss what ever you like here. i personally wouldnt post anything on a forum that hosts this sort of thread. no worries guys, carry on, i will not be bothering about this again

Pat S

????????

There is no politics being discussed here, only opinions. There is nothing controversial, and if there was, it would be yanked really fast

fowler

Reaction score
And as far as rights

Go look at the members map
We are spread all over the world ( and apparently some in the oceans)

There are many differant cultures and societys
We also cover most areas of the economic/ wealth scale

As long as everyone put in an opinion we get a very wide view

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

Pat S

Then why post this in the first place? Listen- it works like this:

You can pretty much get into whatever you want in the "Off Topic" section. As long as it's not overly "adult", or gets overly political. This is "Off Topic" of our common hobby. If the subject matter starts going into places we're not willing to go, it gets wiped. Even my own opinion only goes so far- as I can be, (and have been), overridden by "The Big Guy". Seeing as this is his forum, he can do whatever he dang well pleases, and we accept it. Consider it a EULA.

Now, Anyone who does not like the topic matter of a thread can choose to:

*Ignore it, and carry on with the on topic stuff
*Report it, if it truly IS in contravention of forum rules
*Get in and post with an opinion, or-
*put down the computer and go hang out in the garage...

For the record, my above comments are in general and directed to the masses, rather than any one individual, but more specifically-

What would compel you to make a post to say that you're not going to make any posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.