Couple questions, pedals and steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWes

Reaction score
I've been working on the Streaker. I have a thread going on the other page but I have a couple questions or ideas I need confirmation on.

Both pedals had a lot of wear and slop. When I pulled them off the kart I discovered the bolts were welded to the pedals. Was this how these things came from the builder or was it owner add on?

IMG_20190526_015745655.jpg

I'm sure I can grind them off and weld in replacement but what a pain.

Next question. The steering rod got bent. Can I just cut it off and weld in a piece from Lowe's to replace the bent stuff? I was thinking about joining it up with a piece of tubing and weld it in there. Seems like a good idea to me, what would you guys suggest?

IMG_20190526_015835892_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Spindles. They look like big bolts welded on to a small piece of pipe with a short section of flat bar stock welded on to that. True? Or not? Seems like I could make my own replacement?

IMG_20190526_015725628.jpg

It's been a long hot day. I've been working on the back porch. Time for a nap!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I've been working on the Streaker. I have a thread going on the other page but I have a couple questions or ideas I need confirmation on.

Both pedals had a lot of wear and slop. When I pulled them off the kart I discovered the bolts were welded to the pedals. Was this how these things came from the builder or was it owner add on?

View attachment 107860

I'm sure I can grind them off and weld in replacement but what a pain.

Next question. The steering rod got bent. Can I just cut it off and weld in a piece from Lowe's to replace the bent stuff? I was thinking about joining it up with a piece of tubing and weld it in there. Seems like a good idea to me, what would you guys suggest?

View attachment 107861

Spindles. They look like big bolts welded on to a small piece of pipe with a short section of flat bar stock welded on to that. True? Or not? Seems like I could make my own replacement?

View attachment 107862

It's been a long hot day. I've been working on the back porch. Time for a nap!

yup, I've seen "factory" pedals with the bolts welded on

yup, you should be able to easily replace a steering rod

& yup, but, IMO spindles are NOT that expensive
...they take a lot of abuse & hold up (1) corner of the kart.

* I usually try to pic my battles so, I just buy spindles
...NOT a battle I want to lose @ 20+ MPH :ack2:

BigWes

Reaction score
Spindles are primarily an observation at this stage. I have previously repaired the ones I have and plan to strip them down and clean them up for a more in depth inspection. I feel the need to grind down the current welds I put on there and do a good paint removal and thorough inspection and then go back over it properly. My previous repair was a rush job and even though I know it aint going nowhere the old school air force crew chief in me cant let it go. It's time to tear it all apart. Being OCD is a ***** sometimes.

The spindle observation is due primarily because I buy these old junk karts and every one of them has worn out spindles. I am thinking why cant I cut a short tube that will fit inside the spindle yoke that will size up for a set of bearings the kingpin bolt can rotate on. There may not be enough room, I don't know yet. But I think I can find something. Now I have also thought about the spindle arm itself. Most of these things come with a single flat bar. Why cant I make mine with a double and slide my heim joint between the two? I can have a series of holes if I want for adjustment with less rigidity issues over the one bar. I have even thought of a way to build in for adjustable axle lengths even though I am not sure if I want to broadcast that one yet, but I am sure it would work just fine. Thing is I am sure somebody probably already done did all of this.

Thanks FA, I did watch your video the other day, try not to let your lady get hurt my friend! But, it is cool that she shares your hobbies with you, mine dont.

Wes

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Yeah, the yard kart spindles by and large, are somewhat crudely made (long bolt, threaded on the end and welded to a tube).

You could definitely fab up something very high quality and maybe a bit overbuilt.

Definitely add some Zerk fittings (drill & tap) to those spindles if they don't have them already--great for keeping them lubed without disassembling.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Thanks FA, I did watch your video the other day, try not to let your lady get hurt my friend! But, it is cool that she shares your hobbies with you, mine dont.

Wes

I try my best to keep her safe :thumbsup:

But, she's 13 now :smiley_omg:
…& it's getting harder to even get her out there any more. :huh:

BigWes

Reaction score
I try my best to keep her safe :thumbsup:

But, she's 13 now :smiley_omg:
…& it's getting harder to even get her out there any more. :huh:

LOL, I couldn't tell how old she was! I was watching a windowed video on my cell phone in the back of the helicopter during my lunch break with my beat up glasses on I wear at work! I just seen a lady roll a cart...that thing has some insane motor torque from the looks of it as well...but well worked out electrics can and often do. My first thoughts was, wow, she's a trooper! Not scared of anything!

Keep trying...I never had a daughter so I don't know what to tell you.

I am jealous though. I don't have any kids left at home. Just a little dog and he doesn't like gokarts or the Harley :(

The wife don't much care for the karts either.

Oh well.

Wes

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Yeah, the yard kart spindles by and large, are somewhat crudely made (long bolt, threaded on the end and welded to a tube).

You could definitely fab up something very high quality and maybe a bit overbuilt.

Definitely add some Zerk fittings (drill & tap) to those spindles if they don't have them already--great for keeping them lubed without disassembling.

My thoughts exactly, even with all new parts in the thing it handles like an old Ford truck with bias ply tires on the front of it. I don't know if you ever drove one but dam it made for a sh!tty driving experience.

My grandfather had and old 74 Ford truck and for some reason he liked bias ply tires. I think he overhauled that old 360 4 or 5 times but never replaced the kingpins in it or any of the bushings. It was **** to drive and he loved to make me drive it. It had over 200k miles on it and he was mean as ****. It had 3 on the tree and it had a bent nail holding the shifter in place. and everytime I would mess up he would knock me upside the head. I was scared of that truck and I messed up a lot. Especially cause he started me out at like 13 or so. I think I can drive anything now though. He ain't there to knock me upside the head anyway.

Anyway, I have 3 yard karts right now and they all have their unique steering faults.

I do like the Streaker the best of the 3 so far when it comes to all out overall handling it just seems real heavy to turn. I guess a lot of it is kart weight. Seems almost like you have to actually have to kinda force it out of a turn sometimes. Right now it is torn apart and I am looking at another as we speak so I will see how it goes.

Wes

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um, maybe get some new glasses :lolgoku:
...that "lady" was me! :smiley_omg:

I thought you were talkin' about my daughter Desteny. (she was operating the camera)
...she's my little "Danika" :thumbsup:

She's NOT allowed on the !Arriba! kart (the one that pops wheelies) yet.

Here is a video of us takin' a ride last summer. :auto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAq-hHib3fM

* As far as steering, have you checked or looked into "Ackerman"
...it has a lot to do with steering geometry. :idea2:

** I have found that sometimes a bigger steering wheel (more leverage) helps too. :cheers2:

BigWes

Reaction score
Um, maybe get some new glasses :lolgoku:
...that "lady" was me! :smiley_omg:

I thought you were talkin' about my daughter Desteny. (she was operating the camera)
...she's my little "Danika" :thumbsup:

She's NOT allowed on the !Arriba! kart (the one that pops wheelies) yet.

Here is a video of us takin' a ride last summer. :auto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAq-hHib3fM

* As far as steering, have you checked or looked into "Ackerman"
...it has a lot to do with steering geometry. :idea2:

** I have found that sometimes a bigger steering wheel (more leverage) helps too. :cheers2:

LOL, ok, I am going to watch that again on my pc monitor with my good glasses. And without aircraft running in the background so I can hear too. and something that is bigger than a window that is 3/4" big and yes with better glasses! And yes I apologise for being a big dummy!

But I am still glad you still have Desteny by your side!!!

And the wheelie machine is cool!

And the geometry appeared correct when I initially checked it and I will check it again after I get it back up and running again.

I have a new steering wheel for it as well...one never knows!

Cant wait to watch the video above! I will later tonight I promise!

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.