Comet 44c Magnum Torque Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthy

Reaction score
I bought what I thought was a 40 series torque converter off of eBay. Turns out it has 2 44c driver units - one genuine comet and one aftermarket, both with 3/4" bores. I can't find much information about the 44c, so I need some advice. Which would be a better choice for putting this converter onto a 420cc engine: Get a new fixed face post with a 1 "bore and run the 44c, or get a new aftermarket 40 series driver unit and run that? Both choices will cost close to the same.

Any input would be appreciated.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a 44C Driver with a 3/4" bore yet tbh..
but yeah..
it's certainly the higher quality product,
so if it's set up for your application and in good condition;
it's likely the better choice IMHO.
BUT be aware that there's more to it than a matching crankshaft.
especially the 44c is HIGHLY modable, engagement speeds
range from the needed 1900 rpms to way above 3000 rpm wich is of no use for an unmodified industrial engine.

So count the number of pucks you have and checkthe color of the compression spring (and see if there's a garter spring installed.
(ideally take high quality pictures and let us see ourselves ;))

Otherwise you might need 9 new pucks, a compression spring and the garter spring to make it work for your application ..
which in short means: you can get a series 40 clone driver for less :D

'sid

Earthy

Reaction score
The seller said it was setup to engage at 2200 rpm. It has 2 extra sets of weights, an extra garter spring, and an extra spring for the driven unit. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow night.

I took the jackshaft apart tonight to check it over, and I discovered that the jackshaft (5/8" I believe) is twisted and needs to be replaced. The sprocket also needs to be switched out for a #40 as it has a #35 on now. One of the bearings is a bit crunchy, so I'm going to replace both of those as well.

Earthy

Reaction score
I took some photos of the converter parts tonight, so here goes:

Comet Driver Unit

Aftermarket Driver Unit

Extra Pucks

Extra Garter Spring and Driver Spring

Red Driven Spring

Extra Button Inserts (6)

Finally, here is the twist that I discovered in the jackshaft.

I didn't take the drivers apart to double check what was inside, but I'm gonna take the seller's word for now. Just didn't have enough time to dig into them today. I'll probably take them apart on the to confirm what is inside the shells.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah you will be fine I assume he's using six heavy pucks,
three lite's with garter on a green spring
And seeing you have at least three more heavy pucks,
you can just dial it down again to 1900 rpm engagement speed

And with that.. if it's inside is clean and in good shape, the 44c is what I'd go with.

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.