comet 40 with backplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

anickode

Reaction score
Backplate installations are not ideal for a 40 series because it's a symmetrical sheave design. The driven pulley really should be mounted inboard instead of outboard to avoid the horrible misalignment issues seen in one of the pics.

It does work that way, but it's definitely not ideal, and will result in a much shorter belt life.

gman3850

Reaction score
It’s called spacers dude and I wasn’t saying anyone had to get it. People complain about the 400$ gopowersports one and I thought this might be cheaper for some people

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
With spacers, if you have the pulley aligned at idle -it is not aligned when shifted into high gear.
If you have the pulleys aligned once it is shifted - it is not aligned when idling?

or is this not correct?

anickode

Reaction score
It’s called spacers dude and I wasn’t saying anyone had to get it. People complain about the 400$ gopowersports one and I thought this might be cheaper for some people

With spacers, if you have the pulley aligned at idle -it is not aligned when shifted into high gear.
If you have the pulleys aligned once it is shifted - it is not aligned when idling?

or is this not correct?

I was just saying it's not an ideal setup. Yes, it's a good price compared to GPS, but it's still not how a symmetrical system is meant to be run. That's all. Just a word of caution to anyone interested, since at this price, there would probably be much more interest.

Bob, you are correct. The only ways for a symmetrical torque converter to maintain alignment are to either mount the driven inboard, or allow it to float on the shaft, which isn't ideal in a keyed shaft setup.

KartFab

Reaction score
dang, stamped steel.... ive seen the gps one flex under load, i wonder how much flex this one would have

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Kinda looks like driven clutch floats on the shaft....
EDIT
I thought the driven was designed to constantly float ?

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Shoot, a scrap of steel, a jigsaw, $20 in parts from Azusa, and a buddy with a welder is all that would take.

Well, a little more to it than that. Need to bore out a sleeve for the bearings , so they're in line. Can't just use thin tube. Maybe if you found some thick wall tube with 1.375" id. ...

anickode

Reaction score
Well, a little more to it than that. Need to bore out a sleeve for the bearings , so they're in line. Can't just use thin tube. Maybe if you found some thick wall tube with 1.375" id. ...

Azusa sells pre-bored hub tubes for 1⅜" bearings.

One of those, and a couple ⅝" id wheel bearings, and you're in business.

And 1.5" OD by .065 DOM tube also fits those bearings almost perfectly with a 5 thou interference fit. It's not real heavy wall, but plenty strong for a short length.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180226-200558.png
    Screenshot_20180226-200558.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.