Comet 40 Series Driver Nut

SquidBonez

Reaction score
I just bought a (knockoff) Comet 40 Series driver unit and I CANNOT get the nut off it to open it up and access the springs/rollers. I tried using a pipe wrench to no avail (all I did was chew up the nut a little bit). Going to try an impact gun tomorrow after I get the right socket but what options do I have to get it off? I know some people will take a 1" keyed shaft welded to a metal bar and use it as sort of a breaker bar (putting the nut in a vice to hold it). Anybody else have the same problem? And yes, I did bend down the retaining tab before trying to open it so that's out of the way lol

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The last 40 I had was on my MANCO that I had sold about 25 years ago. I never had to take that one apart. It always worked great. Sorry I could not be of more help. All I remember is 3 springs, 3 rollers as far as parts go.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Gokart supply has a great breakdown of clutches. Have you tried to turn the nut backwards? Might have left hand threads?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
After hitting it with an impact gun it still hasn't budged. I double checked to make sure it isn't left hand threads. I think they may have put loctite on it but I'm not sure.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
If so a propane torch is hot enough to breakdown red loctite BUT...DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL SOMEONE CHIMES IN IF THERE ARE PARTS THAT CAN GET HURT, like o-rings or oil impregnated bushings

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Finally got it. For whatever stupid reason they decided to put red loctite on it when they assembled it. I let it soak for 24 hours in acetone (heard it breaks down loctite) and then hit it with a heat gun after it dried (acetone is extremely flammable so to anyone else reading this in the future - BE CAREFUL). After that I tried the impact gun again and got it off.