Comet 40 doesn't "downshift" well

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Hi guys. got a problem. if i am running my kart uphill and the torque converter is opened to a higher ratio, it will not drop back to a lower ratio as the engine bogs down. The driven may not be perfectly clean, but it's not bad, either. The belt is one of the longer ones for the 40 series. I have to wonder if that is part of the problem. It's been this way since it was new. But this weekend, it left me half way up a steep hill - smoking the belt. Any suggestions?

dpaxson

Reaction score
even if it doesn't have the power it would still downshift. i'm assuming he's looked at it and seen that the belt remains high on the driver when it bogs

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
I think that lubing it again would help. It's in a spot where it does get some dust. A cover may help, but it's going to take me some time to fabricate one.
Even when it's perfectly lubed, I still have to lift off the throttle for it to gear down. I sometimes forget to do that on a steep uphill. I am running 16hp on it, so power is not the problem. But that power may make it difficult for the driven to return to the closed position. Not sure. Guess if I knew, then I wouldn't be asking.

GreyhoundOfYerfDogs

Reaction score
What dcook said. My small yerf with a 30 series is the same way. As you start to ascend a grade, you have to lift your foot for it to downshift again. Sometimes it works in just a second, other times you have to lose a lot of momentum. Cleaning and lubing things didn't seem to help in my case. Planning my approach to a grade, does.

Status
Not open for further replies.