Comet 30 series CVT

lizard

Reaction score
Got his kart running for the kids today.
when I say kids, I mean me. Anyway,
This cart has a comet 30 series Torque Convertor. I haven’t ever had one before.
I thought it would be a smoother engagement from idle to go. It jerky, engages really quick one up to rpm and will even spin the tires on concrete once it starts pulling. It almost a all or nothing kinda deal. I’ve taken it apart and everything is clean but I don’t feel like it’s normal. Does this sorta drivability problem indicate a belt or spring problem in the driver pulley or is this just how they operate in general?

redflash

Reaction score
that has an asymetrical belt...one side is angled...the other side is 90 degreed square.....beveled side goes in toward motor.
check it !

Da Flash

lizard

Reaction score
The belt is a Gates 12-13054. is that an asymmetrical belt?
I can’t tell by looking at it if it’s severely worn, symmetrical, or general junk.

lizard

Reaction score
I should also add there is a .158 machined spacer between the two halves of the driver. Is that supposed to be there or maybe added to make this belt work? Kinda work anyway.
Maybe the belt is too wide.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The asymmetrical belt's outboard side (away from engine) has an angle of 18 degrees, while the inboard side (against backplate) has an angle of just 2&1/2 degrees.
Go to "gokartsupply.com" website, click on Comet Torque Converters, then click on TAV 2 Torq-A-Verter 30 series kits. Long page will tell you all about your 30 series, and how it works. Very useful page, I refer back to it often.
BTW: My own 30 series snatches hold like yours also. Holding the brake while easing into the gas a little, then releasing the brake, will help ease that snatch. Just don't overdo it and burn your clutch.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Pics help too. But I'd look for bent clutch springs, possible missalignment and maybe belt sizing issues. The spacer could be because the TC was meant for a smaller belt size. I've had some like that before.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Not so much a spacer as it is a bushing. Yes, don’t leave home without it. No oil or liquid lubricants of any kind on internal parts. Only use graphite or moly dry to lube it up. Do not use any “belt grip” ever! Use only Comet or Manco belts. The other brands do not work as good or last as long!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Flat side of the belt goes towards the engine, angled side out. Sounds like you might be working with a used unit. The driver clutch (on engine) has replaceable springs and there many different tensions so it is very easy to adjust engagement RPM. Go to the go power sports website. They have a good selection of stings and belts and also a video that shows how to change the springs. It's not hard to do.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
...beveled side goes in toward motor.
Wow, didn't see that above. Jason caught that correctly, "BEVELED" side definitely does NOT go TOWARDS MOTOR. The beveled (18 degrees side of belt) side of the belt goes outboard (away from the engine), to match and mate up with the beveled 18 degree face of the clutch's moveable sheave.
The side that appears to be flat but is actually 2&1/2 degrees is the side that goes up against the flat backplate (against the engine). Well, technically speaking it goes up against the fixed flat sheave of the clutch, which is up against the flat backplate.

lizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I wasn’t able to cross reference the belt number to anything or specification. It’s either way long, worn out, or a symmetrical belt. Probably all three. I have a new one coming based on what Comet Tech Support suggested.
now I have to figure out why it won’t stay running. It had a plugged up carb when I got it so I put a new on on. It starts easily enough, runs okay..ish…sometimes it will randomly big down and stall and not restart for a while. Sometimes it’ll restart right away and stall again after 5
seconds. It seems intermittent and now the recoil blew up so I can’t even work on the stalling until the the recoil shows up.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Since a genuine Comet asymmetrical belt is coming your way, all you need to know is what we said about the "flat" side going up against the motor side of the TC, and the "beveled, or "slanted", or 18 degree side going outboard away from the motor.
Know also that it will appear to be sloppy and too loose when sitting still. There's no adjustment, and it only tightens itself up once rolling.
Go to "gokartsupply.com" and click on "Comet Drive Belts". It'll explain all about the TC, how to install, shows belt profiles, etc.