Comet 20 series RE-furbished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Past few, free, days that I had, in my down time, I refurbished a Comet 20 that a customer had given to me due to its condition and wanted to downgrade to a CClutch due to the kart being a dead axle and the engine he had... from an older/different kart, housed the ole rusted out TC.

Both driver and driven, were rusted badly on the sheaves, to where there were DEEP gouging rust pits, but the brunt of the rust was on the driven. The driver was kinda bad... but sanding it down removed the majority of the damage.

After taking everything apart, I glass blasted the majority of the rust off of everything. After rinsing everything off I mounted each sheave to lathe. First I used 40 grit to remove the peak of the damage, then 80 grit. I used 'Steel weld' 2 part epoxy to fill the pits, smoothed on w/ a tongue depressor and final sanded everything down w/ 400 grit sandpaper. I used a 2x4 block to create/find/make the leveled bevel. Other than coloration... there is no physical difference in feel/texture/levelness. Im pretty sure I removed a certain portion of the surface of the sheave, but being a "Comet" and being made of a better metal alloy than "knock-off" TC's, I didnt think the amount that I removed (1/4 of total thickness) to be of any dire consequence to how the TC will perform/function.

The mechanics (springs/weights/rings/slides) of the TC were preserved well enough that I judged them to withstand being run... so the rest was just cleaning lubing and reassembly.

Attachments

• IMG951875.jpg
    IMG951875.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG951876.jpg
    IMG951876.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG951877.jpg
    IMG951877.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
  • CAM00030.jpg
    CAM00030.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 23
  • CAM00029.jpg
    CAM00029.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25
  • CAM00028.jpg
    CAM00028.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 27

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

Amazing Tihm...

seeing the "before" pic
I think I would have considered that fubar...

seeing the after pics I think there's a more than just slight chance
I would have been wrong :D

Good work!

'sid

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Thx. i have plans on putting it on the trike build. Gotta refab the engine mounting n put a 3rd axle hangar in. The axle flexes n jumps teeth. I'm putting the engine above/on the axle (vs behind it). For room for the TC.

Yay... I woulda proved sid slightly wrong bout something... n he admits to it... OMG!!! I feel like that boy that never gets picked, finally showing up w/ a homerun!!!! LOL.

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
"Vortec" is born!!!!

It works! (not really THAT big of a surprise actually)... after slight mod to the locking/retaining clip groove (lathed it a tad wider n deeper, for the 30 series type clip... the older clip was a different kind of locking/retaining clip, the kind that is coiled).

I geared it 3.6:1 (=~30mph) governor still intact (for now). Temporarily it's running a dead-axle (1 wheel powered) setup, to actually be able to turn... still dont have PVC for the wheels.

I haven't tested the wheelie/anti-scratch bumper wheels 'yet'... but from the feel of it... I may be glad I have em after I lock the other hub.

I polished the header and jetted to 31... may need to goto 33 or 35 still running lean and flame-backfiring even at idle... still up in the air bout throwing a cigar muffler on it... sounds REALLY ballzy w/ just the 1" straight!!!

The brake grip has a built-in switch for lights, so I made up a bracket and polished up an old Honda motorcycle taillight I've had laying round. Will be putting in red LED's... and gonna power it w/ a drill battery (12-14volts)... whenever I can find one for a cheap price (still hoping to spend less than 100$ on this build... at 83$ now >.<).

The engine being all exposed wasn't to my liking... so I cut-up and placed an intake/engine cover off a Chevy Vortec engine, that was layin round... which inadvertently gave it its name... "Vortec", badge and all! Dont think Chevy will sue... :lolgoku:

Will be posting a 'slide/drive' vid on my YT, after EVERY bug is worked out and when I get PVC sleeves... maybe in the next week or so... hopefully!

:popcorn:

Attachments

• CAM00029 (2).jpg
    CAM00029 (2).jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CAM00028.jpg
    CAM00028.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 10
  • CAM00027 (2).jpg
    CAM00027 (2).jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 11
  • CAM00034.jpg