Coleman KT196 stays engaged

BetoH

Reaction score
I bought my kids a used Coleman 196kt go kart. I recently bought a new torque converter assembly as it was staying engaged at idle . So I spoke with a few ppl and they said just to replace it. It did however it’s still staying engaged at idle Or when off it feel like it is stuck when trying to push it out the garage. When installing the new one I noticed if I loosened the bolt I was able to move the go kart freely. Idk if I did something wrong or what the problem is.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Below is the part I bought

30 Series Bore GO Kart CVT Torque Converter 3/4" Bore 6" Driven Asymmetric Go Kart Clutch with 5/8'' Driven Clutch Comet Kit with 725 Drive Belt https://a.co/d/6KiOp9i

Karttekk

Reaction score
Put the rear of the kart on stands then run the engine. See if the engine will idle without turning the rear wheels. You either have the idle too high, the belt is too tight, something is sticking in the torque converter or it's out of alignment. The correct belt is determined by measuring the distance from the center of the crankshaft pulley to the center of the driven clutch pulley shaft plus the diameter of the driven pulley. You will have some resistance pushing the kart with the engine off, the belt has to move through the drive pulley sheaves. Read through this trouble shooting chart with regard to torque converters. Then read through the belt how-to.

Snaker

Reaction score
1st post is confusing,
Did you buy 2 complete CVT kits?
Were they the same ones, as your Amazon link?
That link doesn't include a backplate which would set the c-c pulley spacing, as mentioned.
You have to get the proper length belt and/or reposition the pulleys for the c-c

A quick check can help you diagnose.
When stopped, the belt should have slack and it should have a side gap to the drive pulley sheaves.

Joe kart

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. Bought a manco rattler lxt recently to build. Has a predator 212 stage one with a genuine mikuni vm22. When I got the kart the guy said it was eating through belts. I noticed the driver pulley was not aligned with the driven. So I added a small shim to align them. Now they are aligned. I measured the assembly and came up with a belt size. 203589A. Ordered a couple. Installed belt. When starting it. It idled for a bit then randomly grabbed and started to take off. (Idle is turned way down). The driver pulley on the Converter started smoking and chewed up the belt. Double checked the alignment and the pulleys seem to be lined up from what I can tell. Any help would be great. Willing to buy a new converter if need be. Let me know what you guys think. Can post photos in a moment.

Karttekk

Reaction score
When starting it. It idled for a bit then randomly grabbed and started to take off. (Idle is turned way down).

Did the engine rev up when this happened? If the governor is still installed it doesn't seem to be working. Either the10mm nut on top of the throttle lever is either too loose or too tight, governor arm is loose or a return spring is missing. If these all check out you've got something going on with one or both pulleys. Put a video up showing what's going on.

Joe kart

Reaction score
Im pretty sure there is no longer a governor. Has been removed as far as I can tell. I can put on a worn belt to try to show whats happening and take a video. Dont want to use a good one again just for it to get chewed up haha. As for the reving up. It did not from what i remember. Just kept trying to take off at idle. Also, I posted a thread before seeing this response with more information about the kart and what I'm thinking/trying to do. I agree that i think its pulleys. So thinking a new tc. Would like some suggestions. I appreciate your response.
When starting it. It idled for a bit then randomly grabbed and started to take off. (Idle is turned way down).

Did the engine rev up when this happened? If the governor is still installed it doesn't seem to be working. Either the10mm nut on top of the throttle lever is either too loose or too tight, governor arm is loose or a return spring is missing. If these all check out you've got something going on with one or both pulleys. Put a video up showing what's going on.

Karttekk

Reaction score
As for the reving up. It did not from what i remember. Just kept trying to take off at idle

Are you saying even though the kart "takes off at idle", it launches anyway with no RPM change? That's odd. Check the buttons in the driven, make sure none popped out or the spring didn't break. You say as far as you can tell the governor has been removed. If the linkages on top have been removed that doesn't mean the internal governor gear has been removed. If that's the case the engine will still run wild with nothing controlling the throttle. A good video might help narrow things down.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Is the belt a genuine Comet belt? I'm thinking the wrong belt was installed originally and the replacement belt is wrong too possibly . If the belt is too tight, the kart will "creep" due to the brass bushing not spinning freely on the driver shaft. I would try a genuine Comet belt like Denny has been suggesting multiple times. The Chinese knock off belts aren't exact replicas of Comet belts. Try this belt and report back, I think this will fix it. If it still creeps, try one a little bit longer. Measure the distance between the center of the crankshaft and the center of the driven shaft along with the driven clutch diameter to get the correct size. Did you use a straight edge to align the inner sheaves or the ones closest to the engine? Did you install the flat side of the belt toward the engine? Is the brass bushing in good shape and not dragging on the crankshaft? If these all check out it should work fine, not a whole lot to these setups.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
With using crappy belts you may need to rebuild and clean the clutches and lube only with graphite or dry molybdenum. Spray lock ease works also.

Joe kart

Reaction score
Yeah I lined up the pulleys. Had to add a small shim on the driver to even them out. I measured the pulley and the distance between. By looking at the chart it said I needed the 203589A. I would say it's not too small as you can almost put it on without taking off the pulley. If I forced it I could probably do it. As far as the belt I used I ordered a comet. But it could have been a knockoff. Probably is. It wasn't as expensive as some of the others I saw listed. I will order new belts. Clean up the driver and driven pulleys. Double check alignment. Check springs. And let you guys know what happens. As for the governor. I have not opened the engine my self. Only drained oil and refilled. The previous owner said he removed governor. I will have to dig deeper to know for sure. I'm thinking that because he was having issues with the belt it wasn't cleaned properly before I tried. So I will clean them up and do as stated above. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. Many thanks. I will make a video when it's all done incase something else arises this way we can see what's going on.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yeah I lined up the pulleys. Had to add a small shim on the driver to even them out. I measured the pulley and the distance between. By looking at the chart it said I needed the 203589A. I would say it's not too small as you can almost put it on without taking off the pulley. If I forced it I could probably do it. As far as the belt I used I ordered a comet. But it could have been a knockoff. Probably is. It wasn't as expensive as some of the others I saw listed. I will order new belts. Clean up the driver and driven pulleys. Double check alignment. Check springs. And let you guys know what happens. As for the governor. I have not opened the engine my self. Only drained oil and refilled. The previous owner said he removed governor. I will have to dig deeper to know for sure. I'm thinking that because he was having issues with the belt it wasn't cleaned properly before I tried. So I will clean them up and do as stated above. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. Many thanks. I will make a video when it's all done incase something else arises this way we can see what's going on.
Now you are thinking. The chineseum belts are made from pvc and coated in boiled yack grease or something. False economy not to get a Comet belt. They cost more because they are better.

Karttekk

Reaction score
I would say it's not too small as you can almost put it on without taking off the pulley.

You'll know if you have the correct belt when you have to "almost stretch it" over the brass bushing on the driver shaft with the outer sheave not installed yet. If you can install the belt with the outer driver sheave attached it's too loose. Much of this will come to you as you learn. I think you're almost there with getting everything dialed in correctly. Good luck and post a video of yourself flying around in your kart.

Taken from the Go Kart Supply website:

How To Install a Comet Belt​

Remove the bolt and any keepers from the end of the engine crankshaft, and take the outer half of the clutch off. Clean the clutch. Make sure both components are perfectly aligned. Flat washers and shims are used as spacers. Do whatever it takes to align both components so the side of the belt won't wear down prematurely and litter the system with belt debris. Align the sprockets so the chain will stay on. If you can install the belt without taking the clutch apart, the belt is too long.