Coleman KT196 Issue

biggin

Reaction score
Got the kids a Coleman KT196, the kids have beat it up pretty good, flipped it a few times, and all that fun stuff.

The issue I am having is that it will not stop. As soon as the engine starts the wheels are going. I have replaced the carb and fooled around with it for hours...

I replaced the primary and secondary clutches, new belt... I have spent hours on google and youtube.. for something I feel should be a pretty simple fix. Normally I am semi-competent in fixing stuff but this has driven me insane. To the point, I would take it in to get fixed if there was anyone who worked on them which my wife would say is impossible for me to do.

My son and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I would post pics or videos but I don't know what would really help. The tires spin somewhat fast all the time.

redflash

Reaction score
Too hi an idle will do that ! Crank down the idle and see what that does

Da Flash

CEB

Reaction score
Got the kids a Coleman KT196, the kids have beat it up pretty good, flipped it a few times, and all that fun stuff.

The issue I am having is that it will not stop. As soon as the engine starts the wheels are going. I have replaced the carb and fooled around with it for hours...

I replaced the primary and secondary clutches, new belt... I have spent hours on google and youtube.. for something I feel should be a pretty simple fix. Normally I am semi-competent in fixing stuff but this has driven me insane. To the point, I would take it in to get fixed if there was anyone who worked on them which my wife would say is impossible for me to do.

My son and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I would post pics or videos but I don't know what would really help. The tires spin somewhat fast all the time.
You say clutches?Is it a torque converter or simple clutch? Im not familiar with the kart.If its a TC,check the engagement, is it stuck?Clean it up.This is assuming the idle isnt jacked sky high lol.

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
If it uses a torque converter it sounds like the drive clutch is sticking. Take it apart (not complicated, dozens of videos ) there is a heavy cast part about 1"
in diameter with 4 sort of clover leaf rounded corners . Get some fine sandpaper 300 to 400 grit and sand ALL of the surfaces on this piece, then do the same to the female part into which it goes. It can help to wrap the paper around a thin screwdriver to get to the inside part . Clean it up with brake parts cleaner or even alcohol. That part needs to be able to fall through the female like a rock, completely unrestricted. Reassemble everything bone dry DO NOT put any kind of oil or W D 40 on it. That will only attract dirt and mainly belt dust and make it start sticking again that much sooner.

Reactions: CEB

CEB

Reaction score
Actually when you reassemble use dry graphite spray or graphite.
Imma be honest 90% of the time it dont get anything except put back together after blowing off with an air hose whatever got touched up with sand paper
**more honest-99.5% of the time.pretty sure I used graphite once.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
196cc clone engine, CVT. Check the governor linkage, make sure nothing is hung up in it, like that tree you flipped over.