Clutches, sprockets, and automobiles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Reaction score
16" rear tire
12T #35 clutch
72T drive sprocket

It has plenty of speed, but the clutch is smoking when taking off...

So...what do I do? Go to a larger drive sprocket? But I think 72 is the biggest...so that means small clutch, right?

But I can't find any 10T clutches for a #35 chain. I don't want to have to buy a new chain and sprocket.

I found an 11T clutch, but not sure if 1T would make a difference....

(Don't mention torque converters please...)

theo

Reaction score
Well then the kart or you will have to loose some weight :ack2:

theo

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
You could always get a torque converter :roflol:

On a serious note, clutches dont just smoke, is there oil in it? i wouldnt worry, i have 14" tires, same gear ratio as you, and my clutch doesnt smoke.

jetlag

Reaction score
Well then the kart or you will have to loose some weight :ack2:

theo

That doesn't help... I was thinking that changing the gear ratios would do something positive...

You could always get a torque converter :roflol:

On a serious note, clutches dont just smoke, is there oil in it? i wouldnt worry, i have 14" tires, same gear ratio as you, and my clutch doesnt smoke.

Oops, I knew I forgot something....but it's still a little slower taking off than I would like... no oil in the clutch cause enough slip to make it feel slow taking off?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Oops, I knew I forgot something....but it's still a little slower taking off than I would like... no oil in the clutch cause enough slip to make it feel slow taking off?

Your not going to get amazing take off power with a clutch, they slip its just the way they are, its smooth metal on smooth metal.

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
How much HP do you have? It sounds like the engine isn't strong enough! Do you have at least 5HP for those big tires? With enough HP, the engine would get enough RPM and torque to pull it, regardless of his gears. If my 6.5 can pull a 10T clutch/32T sprocket on a 13 inch tire, then his 12T/72T setup on a 16 should have no problem.

Also, is this a new clutch, or it is worn out???

Also, how is the rolling resistance of your kart?

Are you driving on asphault, or dirt and grass? Are you driving it at full throttle, or are you easy on it, and it's slipping up to speed slowly?

Even an oily clutch, only smokes when heated up a lot, from running low RPM and slipping.

If this clutch, can't take the heat, then get a Hilliard Extreme Duty clutch, because you can run those hot, and slip them a lot.

Last edited:

jetlag

Reaction score
How much HP do you have? It sounds like the engine isn't strong enough! Do you have at least 5HP for those big tires? With enough HP, the engine would get enough RPM and torque to pull it, regardless of his gears. If my 6.5 can pull a 10T clutch/32T sprocket on a 13 inch tire, then his 12T/72T setup on a 16 should have no problem.

Also, is this a new clutch, or it is worn out???

Also, how is the rolling resistance of your kart?

Are you driving on asphault, or dirt and grass? Are you driving it at full throttle, or are you easy on it, and it's slipping up to speed slowly?

Even an oily clutch, only smokes when heated up a lot, from running low RPM and slipping.

If this clutch, can't take the heat, then get a Hilliard Extreme Duty clutch, because you can run those hot, and slip them a lot.

Harbor Freight 6.5
Brand new Max-Torq clutch
Mixture of grass/asphault
Full throttle

jetlag

Reaction score
Max-Torq clutch

Theres your problem.

Hah, well that's good to know.

This **** kart has made me waste a lot of extra money. Mine is the "learning prototype". My friend will have less in his because all the problems were found on mine..haha

OK
FINE.

Will the Torq-A-verter fit on my motor how the frame is? That thing looks massive and I might have to cut out and reweld the crossmembers.

Can I keep my 72T drive sprocket? Do I have to get a jackshaft? If I have to do a jackshaft and change the rear sprocket, then I won't do it, because that would be an extra waste of money..hah

Status
Not open for further replies.