Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
SLC, Ut
Hello Everyone, my name is Dylan and I live in SLC, UT.

I am new to this forum and go karting in general. I am planning on building a simple 1 seater go kart for a school project. I have a 6.5HP Briggs and Stratton. I am trying to figure out whether or not I am going to need a clutch (if so, what kind). I am going to use a single wheel drive system. The only reason I ask this, is because on the main website-

http://diygokarts.com/kart-plans/plans-rear-drive-system.html

they never say anything about using a clutch. This question might sound stupid, but I am just trying to make sense of the whole thing.
Thanks for your patience,
Dylan
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
You pretty much always need a clutch or a torque converter. Otherwise as soon as you started the engine, the kart would take off down the road and you would probably find it crashed into a tree or something. For a person just starting out, a centrifugal clutch would be your best bet. You can find them online at any Go kart supplier for around $40 or so.

So in short, Yes you do need a clutch.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
That's because the article is focusing solely on the axle. Yes, you need a method of clutching. Either a centrifugal clutch (recommended for this application) or a CVT, or belt-slipping system.
 
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
SLC, Ut
WOW! thanks for the instantanious responses!
A couple for novice questions...
1) How do i install a Centrifugal clutch (is there anybody how could post a link to a pretty standard c. clutch for purchase)

2) What exactly is a CVT? Thank you very much for the patience! -Dyl
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
1) installing a clutch is so retardedly easy, no instruction required. Look for Hilliard, Max-Torque, Comet, etc. online.
2) Continuously Variable Transmission, aka Torque Converter. It's a belt-drive system with variable pulley sheaves that not only acts as a clutch but a multi (technically variable) speed transmission.
 
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
SLC, Ut
Oh, okay that makes sense, but you would recommend using a cent. clutch? Another question: How do you recommend i do my brake system? what is the easiest? and for the drive sprocket, how many teeth do you recommend for my 6.5HP B&S engine? Thank you so much! -Dylan
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
I prefer disc brakes myself. IDK wat toystory thinks :roflol:. But here is a thread with part suppliers:

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180&highlight=websites+parts

In the end, it just comes down to what you think will work best for your situation. Do some research on those parts sites and read reviews, watch some youtube, etc.

We can help you with the technical stuff that you run into but overall, it is your build and you should do what you think is best.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
As few teeth as you can find. This will minimize the required size of the rear sprocket. For brakes, your best bet is probably to buy a brake drum and band brake.
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
#35 chain clutch is probably the best for you. The teeth matter for the gear ratio which is not my area of expertise. There is a speed calculator somewhere on the site, you should use that I think. That is a question for someone else. ToyStory??

EDIT - Just saw your post toystory, listen to him lol
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Before we start putting fine points on brake and gear selection, we need to nail down a few things. How big/heavy will the kart be, what is the diameter of your rear tires?
 
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
SLC, Ut
Okay, so im guessing the kart will be somewhere around 120, the wheel diameter will be somewhere around 12". IDK if this is sufficient info for you. Let me know. Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top