clutch shudders

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Have 2008 carter, buggy type, Tecumseh. It has low hours but noticed the clutch shudders on initial acceleration, then smooths out fine. Is the clutch centrifugal? Is there some adjustment? Also have had to replace both front wheel bearings (outside.) Is there anything that can be done to make the cheap bearings last longer? Thanks
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Some pictures would help as there are 2 main kinds of clutches used on karts: centrifugal clutches (cent. clutch) or torque converters (TC). If it uses a belt between 2 clutch parts and a chain to the axle, it's a TC. If it uses chain drive directly from a clutch on the motor's shaft, it's a cent. clutch.
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Thanks redsox, guess I have a TC. Belt seems kinda loose, but maybe that's right. Don't know any thing about them. Do TC's wear out or is there some adjustment? Wheel bearings press in to each side of wheel, and just run straight against the spindle nut. Seems like there would be a better way. Thanks again for any help
 

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Messages
6,622
Reaction score
45
Location
Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
Do a search for your wheel bearing size.
Bearings are usually listed as "economy" or "high performance".
High performance bearings are about double in price and will last much longer.
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Thanks man, that's all I needed. Previously I bought the first ones (no shoulder) I could find and thought they were very reasonable. No wonder....
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Thanks redsox, guess I have a TC. Belt seems kinda loose, but maybe that's right. Don't know any thing about them. Do TC's wear out or is there some adjustment? Wheel bearings press in to each side of wheel, and just run straight against the spindle nut. Seems like there would be a better way. Thanks again for any help

There are slight adjustments that you can make, but this only effects when it starts to shift to different ratios but this cannot change unless you change it. The only wear items are the belt and the little nylon nubs (buttons) on the half of the TC that is not on the motor. Are the two faces of the TC symmetrical or asymmetrical?
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Thanks, redsox. I'm pretty blissful right now and ignorant. Thought I had read that the carter TC was adjustable. Just noticed recently that on initial acceleration the cart vibrates or shudders for a second or two and then smooths out. I'll have to take the cover off and inspect it as I'm not clear about the two faces or the nylon nubs.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Here's a few pictures of mine. The first is what the nylon buttons look like. The second illustrates the asymmetrical faces of the unit (it's blurry but one side is nearly flat, the other clearly sloped). The buttons can be 3 complete arcs (in total on the driven unit) like mine or they can be 6 half arcs (again a total for the driven unit).



 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Great photos redsox, thanks. Now I know what to look for, any idea why the cart shudders/vibrates on initial acceleration? Would some TC adjustment help that symptom?
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Your belt may be slipping and grabbing momentarily. Does it do this after its been running a while?
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Redsox, it seemed like it did it right off, but will have to check that to make sure. It seems to be just momentary as the cart accelerates, then smooths out.
 

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Messages
2,490
Reaction score
3
Location
Oliver springs,Tn
check the weight assembly in the driver part of the clutch. the part thats on the engine. mine did that and thats what it was.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Good idea. Make sure that both garter springs are intact and tight around the two halves of the weight pack inside the driver.
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all the ideas guys. Guess I'll just have to tear in to the TC and see what is going on...
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
If its series 20,30,40 its usually caused by a dirty driver hub, weak garter springs, or a dirty driven clutch/jumped buttons.
 

guitarman AL

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Guys, it feels more like a shudder or vibration on acceleration to me. It is a 30 series comet I believe. Found some superficial rust on driver hub faces, tried to emery off but cart seems to vibrate worse after it runs a while. Guess I'll pull the driver and see if I can clean it. The driven hub and belt look fine. Thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top