Clutch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckutzy

Reaction score
ITs a brand....... But there are different types that have C shaped springs and other that have a wound up long spring, called a garter spring, used in them.
The C shaped variants, are customizable for the engagement point by getting the various strength of springs installed....
Garters springs arent "adjustable"....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
you're likely running an extremely bad gear ratio and if you burn up clutches NOW
without adjusting the gear ratio properly
you'll burn up as many belts ($25 each) in about the same time.

'sid

PS BTW that is the least telling thread topic I've seen in a while...
congrats for that :(
and you had your bar set really low already with
threads like: "me again" or "Help!"

Joel

Reaction score
you're likely running an extremely bad gear ratio and if you burn up clutches NOW
without adjusting the gear ratio properly
you'll burn up as many belts ($25 each) in about the same time.

'sid

PS BTW that is the least telling thread topic I've seen in a while...
congrats for that :(
and you had your bar set really low already with
threads like: "me again" or "Help!"

Hey sorry I never got back again... But I did change the title of this thread. Is it any better?? Oh and what gear ratio would you suggest.. Right now I have a predator 212 with a 10 tooth clutch, I have a 60 t sprocket and 14 in tires.. If I need to gear it down I will need a jackshaft because my sprocket is already almost scraping the ground but I would like to stay away from a jackshaft... But........ I guess because gokart I gotta do what I gotta do!!!!!:thumbsup:
Ps I will try to make my thread topic more fancy like next time!!!:lolgoku:

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Well I guess it don't change the thread title in the new post place.. I don't know why!!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your Gear ratio is Perfect. 60/10 or 6:1. and with 14" tires too should be fine. I run 6:1 on 2 karts one with 15" ties and 1 with 13" tires.
Unless you are a really big fellow. My 15" tired kart is my 99lb daughters and she can do continuous 360 donuts in hard pack dirt. with a governed bone stock 212.

Oh yeah and we run cheap no name 20dollar ebay clutches! from IMI auctions in Colorado.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
indeed.. 6:1 reads nice...
you should be good

So maybe it's another issue.. which is easiest to guess by looking at a pic (hint...)

So post some, clutch, engine sprockets.. kart... the more we see the sooner someone's able to spot something you might want to check.

(say a tight chain.. or a throttle stop or... IDK... your 14" to be 22" in fact)

But if your engine has 5 or more horses to ride on,
your wheels are indeed not bigger than 14" on the rear
and your gearing is indeed 6:1
and your kart with you in it weighs no more than 300lbs
you should be okay and it's not a setup error.
(although ideally that already calls for a 8:1 ratio so it's kindof stretching it)
but it shouldn't be an imminent problem and thus there is something else that's wrong with it if you burn clutches regularly.

'sid

Joel

Reaction score
Ok guys sorry but I cant give you pics right now because it is all ripped apart.. Will update when back together...

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Well Here is as good a place as any. 6:1 on 15x6x6 tires Stock predator, Cheap clutch:
Yeah SHE can drive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxPIefW4gE&feature=youtu.be

WOOOOOAAAA!!! Mine can almost do that on WET grass but most definetly not on dirt..

Dukkie

Reaction score
indeed.. 6:1 reads nice...
you should be good

So maybe it's another issue.. which is easiest to guess by looking at a pic (hint...)

So post some, clutch, engine sprockets.. kart... the more we see the sooner someone's able to spot something you might want to check.

(say a tight chain.. or a throttle stop or... IDK... your 14" to be 22" in fact)

But if your engine has 5 or more horses to ride on,
your wheels are indeed not bigger than 14" on the rear
and your gearing is indeed 6:1
and your kart with you in it weighs no more than 300lbs
you should be okay and it's not a setup error.
(although ideally that already calls for a 8:1 ratio so it's kindof stretching it)
but it shouldn't be an imminent problem and thus there is something else that's wrong with it if you burn clutches regularly.

'sid

I have predator 212
10 tooth clutch
60 tooth sprocket
18" tires on a yerf dog 3202
it lacks torque, where do i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.