clutch problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdberg

Reaction score
Hello,
I have put together a kart from scratch "for my son". I think it turned out too big. It weighs about 250 pounds. It is powered by a 8hp tecumseh engine, 12 tooth clutch, live axle with 40 tooth sprocket, 18" tires. The frame is constructed of 1" pipe for the base and 1/2" pipe for the supports. The rear suspension is constructed of angle iron. I am having problems transferring engine power to the rear wheels. The kart only runs downhill. I have smoked the clutch on the first 5 minutes of operation. I took the clutch apart and it was glazed so I light sanded the clutch and the housing and put it back together and still am not able to get the clutch to "grab". I dont think changing the housing to a 10 tooth and the axle sprocket to a 60 tooth will make that much difference. I am wondering if purchasing a torque converter will make any difference. I dont want to ruin a new torque converter also. Does anyone make a centrifugal clutch that locks in the housing so it wont slip? If that was the case then it would be difficult to stop correct? I guess I am just looking for suggestions. Thanks,
Rich

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
a torque converter is an automatic CVT transmission, so the lower gear would help.

mikeandike

Reaction score
you definitely need to change the ratio to 5:1 or 6:1 (preferably 6:1) and make sure that your close to max rpm on the engine so the clutch can fully lock up (it locks at 2200 rpm). If that dosnt work go for a torque converter with the same 6:1 setup.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
Gearing way to high If you ise the caluclater assuming its 3600 RPM it will go around 58 accoring to the calculator, If you put a 10 tooth clutch it goes 48. I think it the shoes arent worn to badly leave tha and change the axle sproket. If you put a 72 tooth sproket on it will go 32. Delpening on what your going to use it for. if in the city streets go with 72 for cruizing. But if your going to go more off-road then maybe a jackshaft would be better because your getting into some long chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.